prepper's paradise

Yes, vocals are clear. Maybe a *tad* too loud to my taste, but then again, I tend to mix vocals too quiet lol. Snare sounds nice. You could turn guitars up a bit.

Sounds good, vocals maybe a tad hot, but just barely. I agree the left and right rhythm guitars can maybe come up a tad. In fact, I'd do that first before you mess with the vocals. Cool solo, strat or tele?

It sounds like the vocals need some clip gain automation, some words/syllables are quieter, but not by much.

Sounds pro, nice job.

You've got some super-loud lip smacks: 1:06 before "hey". 1:37 on "if". 1:47 "ah". 2:28 "our". probably some others

Mix-wise, the big thing that seems to need fixing is to take the male lead vocal down, and bring everything else up.

Weird song. It's cool!
I can hear the line of thought between Portland to Portland and this one. I'm digging your style in general!

I agree with taking the male lead vocal down a bit - at least in the first verse, and taking the guitars up a bit. Some vocal automation needed - for example in the verse in the 1:40 range, the male lead vocal is lower than the first verse and the female lead vocal is louder.
With the extra vocal 'background' parts, this kind of sounds like its part of a musical. IF it is, then the vocals-to-instrument relative levels aren't bad.

I really like your song concepts and lyrics. I think they're great.

The vocals all have a very high presence boost. They bring out lip smacks as VHS mentioned. I just think the vocals are all too crisp and sterile. No warmth to them.

Bass sounds good.

Guitars sound OK for the most part. The lead guitar in the middle is a little harsh in spots.

Thanks to reviewers, I appreciate the time.

Big T, I'm doing a session tomorrow (other song) but will review guitar level;

Johnny A, will add looking at vocal levels; that is a telecaster (unfortunately not me playing!);

VHatSteve, we did discuss lip smacks as 'keeping it real' but I agree they may be TOO real and appreciate specifics re: vocals, as well as style comment, and comparative listening-- thanks!;

MJBphotos, fascinating catch about intent, it started out as a story summary to guide a screenplay development with same title as the song and I'm interested in writing "Snowden: The Musical," so this is certainly a theme for me. The guy I'm working with calls it quasi-operatic intent. Appreciate the specifics on vocals;

TripleM; thanks on the conceptual comment, and will add ?guitar harsh to the review.

As kind of new commenter I"m perhaps tending to over-thank, but it is really nice to have a place like this one to get review and comments.

Thanks for the listen, Cleared. The structure is repetitive as I tend to use instrumental section instead of changing harmonic structure--working on it! That is I have ABAB repeat, rarely ABAB_C, for excample.

"Out of the pocket" makes me think of the opposite of, eg, Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whittaker, so... I'm-a stay in there and bang next time? For me, relation of that to music is obscure and I need more. Due diligence: rhythm - When playing drums behind the beat, what instruments define the actual beat? - Music: Practice & Theory Stack Exchange . Interesting. Behind versus ahead of the beat; bass/drum/click track relation. Will review.

RE: AC/DC--one night I stayed up a long time, was working on something, hey, this sounds pretty good. In the morning I realized, this is that AC DC song! So it's in there somewhere, anyway. I get what you're saying, thanks.

Back