Pmc #13

NL5

Unpossible!
Since Chris was unable to get #13 together, he asked if I would supply some tracks.

A couple of caveat's though. This is a project that Perdicament sent to me to add drums too, so he recorded everything but the drums. The drums were done in less than two hours - including setup and teardown of the kit & Mics, and the drummer had not heard the song until we started setting up his drums. Therefore, they are not perfect. It was done in three takes and we used the third take, except for one snare fill between 30-34 seconds, I took from the second take. However, I forgot to edit the snare bottom track - so, a little editing fun for practice. Also, as I set up the mics in a hurry (and this was just a "test" recording) there is a lot of bleed in the tom tracks.

All in all though, you should be able to make this sound pretty kick ass without a whole lot of trouble.

Thanks to Perdicament for letting these tracks be used in a PMC. And thanks to Chris for starting the whole PMC thing! :D

Hopefully the judges that volunteered in the other thread are still onboard.

The File can be found at-'

http://www.lightningmp3.com/upload/mixcontest13.zip

It is in 24/44.1 format wav files. All tracks start at the same time.

Can't wait to hear the entries! :D

DL'd and loaded em up, everything seems cool except the instrument and vocal tracks all seem really really really quiet. were they just recorded at low levels? or did something go wrong here...

the drums are like 20X louder than everything else.

freakin cool song though, i'm gonna get right to mixin'

oh and 148 BPM sounds right, right?

I am still up for judging, definitely :) I will also throw up a mix for fun, it will be tongue-in-cheek so as not to bias anybody. I will only work on it tomorrow AM and I'll post my mix by noon!

Going to bed while the files DL . . . night all!

FIRST:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7941

first off, let me say that this song fuckin ROCKS. it was a blast to do this mix. i'm starting to get more of a feel for my new room and new monitors (after having untreated room and crappy monitors for so many years) so my mixes are starting to come along a bit quicker. i know the "mastering" job sucks, but yeah i had fun doing the mix on this one! wanted to get that shit up first so that way nobody can say i stole their ideas. :D :D :cool:

Last edited:
When i get a chance ill have a whack at it.

From what ive heard it should be a ripe challenge.

Thanks to NL5 for putting it together.

xfinsterx said:
I love you too buddy. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean it like that! :D

As far as the levels, that is the way they were recorded and sent to me........I only recorded the drums.

G-

mshilarious said:
I am still up for judging, definitely :) I will also throw up a mix for fun, it will be tongue-in-cheek so as not to bias anybody. I will only work on it tomorrow AM and I'll post my mix by noon!

Going to bed while the files DL . . . night all!

D'Oh! Corrupted DL :mad: I'll try again today :o

zed32 said:
FIRST:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7941

first off, let me say that this song fuckin ROCKS. it was a blast to do this mix. i'm starting to get more of a feel for my new room and new monitors (after having untreated room and crappy monitors for so many years) so my mixes are starting to come along a bit quicker. i know the "mastering" job sucks, but yeah i had fun doing the mix on this one! wanted to get that shit up first so that way nobody can say i stole their ideas. :D :D :cool:

Woah, 6 hours since the PMC#13 was posted and already the 1st entry!

Guitars sound nice and meaty. Maybe a bit crowded in the low mids. Maybe just needs a cut in the guitar.
I aint into the snare sound, probably more the recording than mixing.

Good stuff man.
Vocals pop out a baw hair too much at times.

Eck
Eck

I also have a quick mix I did for Predicament that I can post if anyone wants to hear it. I will probably re-work it for fun sometime next week and post that as well.

ecktronic said:
Woah, 6 hours since the PMC#13 was posted and already the 1st entry!

Guitars sound nice and meaty. Maybe a bit crowded in the low mids. Maybe just needs a cut in the guitar.
I aint into the snare sound, probably more the recording than mixing.

Good stuff man.
Vocals pop out a baw hair too much at times.

Eck
Eck

yeah man i was excited to just get something up real quick haha! i did that one in like 4 hours start to finish. now that it's not the middle of the night, i'll make some adjustments on fresh ears. :D

OK, I got the tracks now, they sound good . . . but I'm going to be a wuss and bail. I wanted to do the whole Mutt Lange/Def Leppard mix, but it turns out that's a lot harder than it sounds :o what I was getting was a good but typical mix, and I don't think that would be helpful from a judge.

That said, you can get a pretty good mix here with faders up (once the quiet tracks problem is fixed) and some panning. Other than that, my advice would be:

1) There are good doubled guitars, multiple vocals tracks, so work with them to get a fat sound. Doesn't take much. The guitars did seem tonally similar so try to separate them.

2) There might seem like a lot of tom tracks, but resist the temptation to gate them even though there is a lot of bleed. It's GOOD bleed, man, especially that #3 top mic. You need that mic open, if back a bit until and after the middle section. I didn't know exactly what to do with the bottom tom mics, but panning them opposite during that tom bit in the middle sounded cool. Just a thought there.

3) Concentrate your efforts on snare and kick, I think those will be the distinguishing tracks for the good and great mixes. I can't say I got there . . .

Other than that, don't go crazy, this schtuff is well tracked. Save the craziness for creative choices, not for unnecessary EQ.

Hey, are we doing prizes? If so, I'll put up a couple of mics :)

I'm not listening to anybodys until I post sine of my own. I'd be unduly influenced... Nothing personal. :)

Back