Please review this song...

After Ten is a nice jazz vocal tune.The performance is good and the singer is good......the mix has problems.It is way over-compressed...the kick is really boomy and I think thats from the all the compression/limiting thats going on....oh man,the whole song is just clipping at 52 seconds and 2:09......way too hot of a signal.....re-mixing this will a whole lot less compression will result in a much better sounding mix.

The vocals have some sibilance too.....those are my simple observations.

Good song.Is this an original?

Just listened to The Sand...again really good performances and vocals.Nice keyboard and horn work ....the mix suffers from the same problems as the first tune....it doesnt sound like either song has any stereo imaging at all....no seperation at all....both songs sound mono.

Good tunes and performances but bad mixes.

I listened to 'after ten' and I have to say it was excellent..

I enjoyed it a whole lot.. I agree with Kramer about the limiting.. It seems a lot of recordings are like that nowadays.. Other than the distortion from the limiting, I thought this was a great listen..

Thanks for the responses guys. The songs are indeed originals. I know I went a bit(!) crazy on the compression, but that was to compensate for the original recording sounding very 'peaky,' plus I'm rather new to recording.

I'll be rerecording this soon, so I'll know what to look for.

Thanks,
Steve

www.burgundyband.com

After Ten sounds too bass-heavy. At least the bass-guitar in it. The whole sound sounds very compressed. The song itself is good, but the compression is too much. It's like they're all performing within 2 inches of me. Sounds too close :) Do something about that compression.

Yeah, I haven't read any of the posts, so forgive me if I repeat. Has anyone mentioned over-compression?

(kidding)

Just wanted to say that I thougth the overall performances were great.

"After Ten" cool stuff... I was wondering if the frase "we could stay" at 0:55 supposed to be that way or is it off... you never know in jazz ... :D also at 1:00 ... performance sounds tight ... I like the mix ... and ye I hear that the bass is somewhat excesive ... listening in headphones it could use some more panning IMHO ...

"the sand" ... don't like the pitch of the singer ... could be hard to sing to that "shiftin" piano part ... thi sone sounds a little hollow to me and pitch issues between vocal/piano/trumphet ... still very good performance ... dance part is great ...

it lookes like you have very cool band there ....

cheers

I listened to The Sand.
The vocals are really good,especially the harmony.

I agree with Fed,sounds like the horn and vocals were competing.
Mabey a more staccato sound on the horn would fit better.
He sounds much better playing faster.
The piano part was too repeditive.IMHOP

You said you were going to re record,so I figured you want some suggestions.:)

Good playing and writing all around,has a lot of potential!

Pete

I listened to both tunes. Pretty slick for sure but I can hear sibilance on the vocal. Also I hear a compressor breathing. Good chops though. Pretty cool.:cool:

Back