Please give me some feedback on this Punk/Ska/Rock/Whatever song.

The whole mix is a bit murky/bassy. The vocal is a touch low for my taste. The kick is all woof, no attack. Otherwise sounds pretty good, playing is tight. I'd go through the whole mix, check your HPFs and do some more EQing.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks for the listen. I agree with just about everything you said (after taking a fresh listen). I have upgraded my monitors since I'm mixed this, and I noticed that my new monitors seemed dark compared to what I'm used to. I'm thinking that my old monitors were exceptionally bright.

As for the kick, I think I was trying to get a less attack-y sound for this song, as it was the least aggressive sounding of the tracks. I think I went too far the other direction. Also the drummer was playing a bit softer, and less consistent than the other tracks we did.

Thanks!

I have upgraded my monitors since I'm mixed this, and I noticed that my new monitors seemed dark compared to what I'm used to. I'm thinking that my old monitors were exceptionally bright.

Monitors are so important, I used to agonize, going from system to system hoping my mixes would translate well. Finally I got the money for a pair of Adam A7x and it changed everything. Not only do I save time, but other than a quick check on another system, my mixes translate great.

I know the kick sound your talking about, I actually like that old school kick, it leaves a lot of room for other things. You just need a bit more definition.

I think PDP's got the high points. It's muddy and dark overall.

Although the cymbals do sound pretty good.

Back