Please comment on mix

spantini

COO of me, inc.
This is one of the Cuckos mix contest songs I've been practicing with. The lead vocal was messed up in a few spots, the main problem it had was a significant drop off in volume about 3/4 through, after the break. I think it was intentional, just to give us something to fix. I added an adjacent track and pasted in a good section from the beginning, then I added an envelope to the original section and dropped the volume to zero.

I'd appreciate any comments on the mix - suggestions, too. Thanks.

Source December 2017 Mix1 by j dowing | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Cuckos is the alternative to Reaper that sleeps with your girlfriend, right? :D

So if this is a mixing contest, you didn't track it, right? Only mixing?

The vocal is very dark. It definitely needs some more high-end. On the first line after the break (at 2:17) is the only time it actually sounds right. It also has a few plosives here and there.

Thanks, Steve.

Right on all three counts :p

I'm not participating in the contest, just using the song as I'm learning with Reaper - my first experience with a DAW.

I don't have monitors, just phones, so it all sounds a little dark to me - I didn't want to overcompensate for that and make it too bright. The first vocal line after the break was actually copied and pasted from the first line at the start with no changes made. But it does sound better after the break. All the tracks increased in volume shortly after the break around 2:28, except for the lead vocal, that volume was reduced and much darker (not my doing) - that's why I copied the first line over.

I'll work on brightening up the remaining vocal and getting those plosives.

How cool, to mix horns! Can't say i've ever done that. I think the mix is pretty good-i can hear every element, but it sounds a little dark overall, and everything sounds like it needs to come forward a bit, maybe that's saying the same thing. At times it almost sounds phasey but i think it's the horns sustaining, on another listen it sounds like that shaker-it seems to replace a high hat i cant hear and causes a little auditory confusion to me. I like the feel of the low end in general i think if you brought up the highs in most everything it would get some excitement happening as the sounds and performances/arrangement seem excellent. The guitar riffs happening around the 2:05 area seem low in the mix to me. Some verb/delay on the female vocal might be cool?

I've never mixed horns in my life, so there's that. You did a good job creating space for the vocal. Levels seem about right to me. There's something muffled and dark about the whole mix. Not just in the vocals, but the drums (no sparkle in the overheads), guitars, etc. I would look for ways to brighten the mix slightly without boosting the high end if that is possible. If you made EQ cuts there, try backing off on those first.

Thanks, everyone.

The horns and keys move in and out and there are upper and lower mics on the Leslie which may be the phasing. There is no shaker I know of, and no mic on the hi-hat. The snare is mic'd top and bottom - guess that accounts for the weak hi-hat. Then there are two overhead mic setups, one on the main drum kit (not loud enough, IMO), and one on "percussion". Sounds like congas.

The guitars are at a constant low level, they surface when the rest get quiet.

Yeah.. everything is a bit dark - the vocals and drums even more. I'll go back and tweak some track EQs.. see if I can pull everything out a bit more.

Thanks again!

Thanks. I'll try to isolate that shaker. I couldn't pick it out in the current mix. When I listen to the "Percussion overhead" track all I hear is congas, so it's sneaking in elsewhere.

Instruments such as the horns sound pristine in the mix while the vocals and drums are too dark, which doesn't create a good contrast. I'm interested to see what you can improve on in this track.

Yeah the vocals sound like they're coming from behind the curtains. I'd try and get some air into them. Also the drums tend to fade in the busier sections. Horns & keys sound good

It all depends on what sound you were originally going for.

Mixing is a preference for a vibe or sound you wish to sonically create, if you were going for Motown vibe, you're very close!

I do agree the vocals were inconsistent but other than that the overall mix was pretty good. ?

Good job

Back