Playground - Don't be a bully :p

FoulPhil

Hi. I was just screwing around yesterday and all of a sudden I came up with this song. It's basically about all the playground insults and things I could remember from when I was in Elementary school LOL. I think it's punk rock style, but anyways here it is LOL. By the way I'm aware the vocals need some editing with the ssses and Fs and Cs etc. I think the vocals are too loud and I'm tempted to turn them down, but not sure.

Edit: Already updated the mix LOL...

Last edited:
Enjoyable as always Phil. Vocals are not too loud IMO. Actually the mix sounds pretty good. Maybe a little boomy on the bottom end (like Frankenstein...?). ;) Good job!

Enjoyable as always Phil. Vocals are not too loud IMO. Actually the mix sounds pretty good. Maybe a little boomy on the bottom end (like Frankenstein...?). ;) Good job!

lol yeah that's the 2nd mix I did. I turned the vocals down just a little and edited some nasty sounding stuff out. So, I think they're sitting in nice. Not sure how to clean up the bottom end, but I'll see what I can do. :thumbs up:

Try high-passing the bass somewhere between 50 and 100Hz, then sculpt in the 200-300Hz range. Sorry, that's the extent of my mixing expertise... ;)

Guitars sound real good. I thought the bass sounded good. Ditto on the vocals - sounded real clear and it was a nice tone.

The cymbals have a swirly effect. But that might be because of SC. I think you could raise the level of the snare and kick.

Still think your songs need something to kick them off better, rather than jumping right in.

Try high-passing the bass somewhere between 50 and 100Hz, then sculpt in the 200-300Hz range. Sorry, that's the extent of my mixing expertise... ;)

I'll experiment lol

Guitars sound real good. I thought the bass sounded good. Ditto on the vocals - sounded real clear and it was a nice tone.

The cymbals have a swirly effect. But that might be because of SC. I think you could raise the level of the snare and kick.

Still think your songs need something to kick them off better, rather than jumping right in.

I'm not really sure how to do it. I thought I had made a little intro type thing on this one LOL, but I guess it doesn't come off that way. One of the hard things about doing everything alone instead of having a band is sometimes it's hard figuring out how things will go. We take for granted having people help you make/write music. I guess I should look up how to write good song introductions lol...

Yeah, really enjoyed it - it works for me. That bass really chugs. (Is there more going on with that part than just bass?) The lyrics shine. One thing though - Soundcloud automatically goes to the next tune in the queue, and I heard the raw mix immediately after the one you posted here. I sorta liked it better. It's more open slightly.

Nice tune, FoulPhil.

Yeah, really enjoyed it - it works for me. That bass really chugs. (Is there more going on with that part than just bass?) The lyrics shine. One thing though - Soundcloud automatically goes to the next tune in the queue, and I heard the raw mix immediately after the one you posted here. I sorta liked it better. It's more open slightly.

Nice tune, FoulPhil.

It's just a regular single bass line, but it's got a real cool contrast when it goes from punk standard into a blues shuffle and the bass does that old style jazz/blues walk. I think the bass was the easiest part. It only took me an hour to record all the guitars and bass. And the vocals were almost effortless. I didn't really rehearse the song at all. I spent months and months writing the country stuff I was working on and practicing it. It was such a pain in the ass. Then I wrote this song yesterday and recorded it right then, no rehearsal lol. I recorded the vocals today LOL and it was a real kick in the ass. I'm not saying it's super great or anything, but I really like how it came out. It's just a funny song. It cracks me up. I also wrote/recorded another song today and then wrote the lyrics. I'll probably keep going one song at a time until I get bored and decided to try a different type of music lol.

I like the song...overall the mix is great. But too loud.

That's all I think needs fixing. Turn it down. But do that only if you think you need to.

I like the song...overall the mix is great. But too loud.

That's all I think needs fixing. Turn it down. But do that only if you think you need to.

He's probably waiting for you to reach out and turn it down at your end and say I turned it down

I would turn it down if it were crushing the dynamics or altering the music in a negative way, but since I know it's not I'll leave it nice and loud. Just turn down your speaks a little. I hate when you're playing a CD of your favorite Death Metal band, you crank it up all the way and it still won't cover up the noise of cars drive by as you're walking to the liquor store because you're already too drunk to drive... I hate that!

Good job Phil, sounds like it was fun recording it. I think everything has good tones. I don't think the bass is too boomy and its pretty clear to hear on my end. The only thing I can hear is that the guitars do sound dark/muffled and just little a little brightness to them.

I'm not really sure how to do it.

It could be something as simple as a 1-2-3-4 count in. Either with drumsticks, or palm mute chugs on a guitar. Just something to give it a feel like you're starting at the beginning, and not "starting in the middle." And take it with a grain of salt. Could just be me.

Cool song! Solid mix.

I noticed was that some of the vocals were a little pitchy. That usually works for punk, but the rest of the mix was really polished, which makes those notes stick out.

I might also bump up the BGvox.

Otherwise, no nits here.

Good job Phil, sounds like it was fun recording it. I think everything has good tones. I don't think the bass is too boomy and its pretty clear to hear on my end. The only thing I can hear is that the guitars do sound dark/muffled and just little a little brightness to them.

Thanks. I will make some adjustments to make the guitars a little more bright :D

It could be something as simple as a 1-2-3-4 count in. Either with drumsticks, or palm mute chugs on a guitar. Just something to give it a feel like you're starting at the beginning, and not "starting in the middle." And take it with a grain of salt. Could just be me.

I will make an effort to try LOL

Cool song! Solid mix.

I noticed was that some of the vocals were a little pitchy. That usually works for punk, but the rest of the mix was really polished, which makes those notes stick out.

I might also bump up the BGvox.

Otherwise, no nits here.

Yeah I did my best to sing it kind of shitty and sloppy. There's a few parts that jump out to me as well that I'll adjust, but I was going for a real nasty sounding vocal. Which I think is what makes it so easy for me. Looking for the opposite of perfection is so easy to achieve :p

Mix is all good for me - It is loud but I just turned it down. I'm at work and my headset bleeds too much so gotta watch out for the NSFW lyrics lol...
At a 32 on the Windows scale of the "fader" is about right around this place. The imagery was, well, very vivid, especially the Grandma lol...
Gotta strike when the iron's hot so keep going until you're out of ideas....

mix is all good for me - it is loud but i just turned it down. I'm at work and my headset bleeds too much so gotta watch out for the nsfw lyrics lol...
At a 32 on the windows scale of the "fader" is about right around this place. The imagery was, well, very vivid, especially the grandma lol...
Gotta strike when the iron's hot so keep going until you're out of ideas....

hahahah

Back