Pink Floyd-ish side project ...

K-dub

Quick ditty ... stream of consciousness recording ... making shit up on the fly. The drums were the last insertion. Everything was done prior to their add. :D

Quick ditty ... stream of consciousness recording ... making shit up on the fly. The drums were the last insertion. Everything was done prior to their add. :D

I like it K-dub. Very Floydish!
nice sounding drums. Nice arrangement as well. I think the vocal is good but could use some compressing...there are high spots and low spots in the volume of the vocal. I see that it's a quickie. so I suspect you haven't got around to smoothing out the vocal spikes yet.

very cool tune man!

I like it K-dub. Very Floydish!
nice sounding drums. Nice arrangement as well. I think the vocal is good but could use some compressing...there are high spots and low spots in the volume of the vocal. I see that it's a quickie. so I suspect you haven't got around to smoothing out the vocal spikes yet.

very cool tune man!

Personally I loathe the dashed vocal -- but it was a bit of a rush mix -- and I love the randomness of what can be done quickly in creative vomiting.

I'm not sure this is a finished piece ... so I'm not going to devote much additional time to making it perfect. I may, though, try to get my band to carry the creative concept further. I think we may have a germ of something going ... and I'm getting the group to do "Wish you were here" ... which I believe this might be a good original supplement to, in show.

Yep, there are definitely a few notes here and there that sound like they were strummed too hard and could be leveled a bit.

So was it one take of every instrument then, or did everyone play a few times until they got something they liked?

What's the vocal chain? Sounds like you have some kind of slight harmonizer going on?

Yep, there are definitely a few notes here and there that sound like they were strummed too hard and could be leveled a bit.

So was it one take of every instrument then, or did everyone play a few times until they got something they liked?

What's the vocal chain? Sounds like you have some kind of slight harmonizer going on?

Such is a recording done in such loose fashion. Yes. We really hadn't intended on making much out of it. I took a snippet of a song recorded quickly in one pass w/ the 12 string, and sent rough draft over to Stu.

He sliced and diced what I sent, then layered his electric guitar and bass on it -- and sent it back to me. I then restructured the lyrics -- sang a more cohesive lyric, added the big "Ahs" -- and finished it off w/ the organ. There is sat ... until I said, "I'll bet drums would take this up a notch."

So I added them.

I record vocals w/ my Karma K58 (w/ GE 5 star tube upgrade) through my Trident 4T celebration channel strip into Sonar. The doubling effect is a Waves ADT plug -- which I adore, so I tend to overuse it. :D

'Early' Floyd! During the singing parts, the drums are a little busy (specially with snare grace hits). The high hat partially open at a couple places is interfering with the acoustic's strumming (unless that's all strumming).

'Early' Floyd! During the singing parts, the drums are a little busy (specially with snare grace hits). The high hat partially open at a couple places is interfering with the acoustic's strumming (unless that's all strumming).

Early Floyd is how it struck us too, Mike. I'm wondering if we might do this up w/ the band? We just learned "Wish You Were Here" and it might go nicely alongside in a live set ...

Early Floyd is how it struck us too, Mike. I'm wondering if we might do this up w/ the band? We just learned "Wish You Were Here" and it might go nicely alongside in a live set ...

Definitely! Don't introduce it as an original, and let people ask what PF it's from!

Back