Piltdown Man here... RAW, RAW, RAW! Early feedback?

PiltdownMan

I bought a new mic a few days ago (B-2 Pro, dual diaphragm condenser), so I'm trying to decide if I like it. It seems to have some "sizzle" at the top end, but it has much more presence and body than my old piece of junk.

So let me know how the vocals sound, mic-wise.

I just started this song at noon today, uploaded it about 6 p.m. It's still VERY, VERY raw. I know there will be mix issues. I need some more stuff here and there, and of course I need to finish it, as it ends right in the middle of the song.

Anyway, let me know how the vocals sound, and let me know if you hear any other arrangmement issues, etc., before I get too far into this one.

Thanks, as always!

Piltdown Man

Unititled
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2881&alid=-1

Dude I just put a B2 up on Ebay today...

Bring it back!

I'll be right back to after I download...

Much better. There's nothing like a condenser.

Digging this song too. Nice harmonies. Bring that thing back and I'll give you mine, barely used for a $100. :) (Is that spam? Oh well sue me. :) )

OK, I'm biased now, but these vocals do sound more well represented than your other tracks IMO. The other tunes sounded good too though.

LOL! You crack me up slooce. "Your mic sucks! Take it back!... I mean, no, it sounds great. I've got one I'll sell you cheap!"

What didn't you like about yours? 'Cause I'm having some issues with mine.

This is the best mic I've ever owned, which isn't saying much, considering I'be been using an ElectroVoice MC100 for the past ten years. It cost me about $40 new.

This mic seems to accentuate the sibilants, Zees and percussives too much. It has WAY more body and "fat" than my old mic, but I'm wondering if I could do much better with a little more money.

Any advice anyone?

And, SLuiCe, thanks for the listen and the comments. But, no thanks, I'll either keep this B-2 or I'll take it back and go back to my ghetto mic. It's not like I'm ever going to do anything with the crap I record anyway. It's just for fun. So do I really need a $1000 mic? Nah. Probably don't even need this one. :-)

Piltdown Man

The new Mic sound fine to me.

It's adding a lot of richness to your voice.

I can even understand a lot of those big 50 cent words you put into the lyrics too!:p

The song sounds like the beginnings of another classic track from you. Full of rich and unique guitar work and very creative drum machine programing.

Keep the Mic!!

Cheers! :)

Nah dude...I'm just kidding. I just found it hilariously ironic that you should post this today. I just quit my job so I'm selling a few extra things, the B2 being one of them. I've got a mic I already use for vocals. I think the one you've got sounds pretty damn good, and will be better when you get used to it more. Getting to know a condenser can take a little time. What I didn't like about the B2 on my voice was that it didn't capture the details of my low end very well.

Have fun!

Good sound. I thought it recorded your vocal really well. Good harmony too.

Pretty creative drum loop.

The start of a real good song.

Thanks, everyone for your feedback. I don't usually post half-finished songs here, but I wanted to get some input into the mic situation. Hopefully, I'll get used to the idiosyncracies of this mic and, ultimately, enhance the quality of my vocal tracks. Right now I'm floundering a bit.

It is kinda sad, though, that I spend all this money on something from which I'll never see a return-on-investment. Isnt' that sad? Wait... or is it sublimely, cosmically pure and beautiful? I can never remember.

Piltdown Man

Back