Peter Gabriel Cover

I don't know the original so can't comment on that aspect. Vocal performance is real good as are the other instruments. Mix seems well balanced, I don't have any suggestions there. Nice job

yeah sounds good man love peter gabriel. could be a bit brighter but for all i know thats just monitor setup wrong

Oooh, thats a tough one. You chose to take on a tough one.
Peter Gabriel is a master and that song is a masterpiece, so covering it is quite an adventuresome undertaking. :D

Overall, very well done sir. My question would be if this is intended to be your interpretation or an accurate cover?

Vocals are very good, performances are very good. Mix-wise there is a bit of sparkle missing. You got plenty of low end, but I'd love to hear some Tony Levin fretless in there.
Percussion and guitars could be a little crisper.

If this is an interpretation, A+. If an accurate cover, B-
These are minor personal nits. I think you did a great job, certainly something i wouldn't attempt. :D

I rarely listen to covers, but I had to give this one a spin. I would say you did pretty darn good. I think a touch of more air would work well with this one.

Still aces man!

Oooh, thats a tough one. You chose to take on a tough one.
Peter Gabriel is a master and that song is a masterpiece, so covering it is quite an adventuresome undertaking. :D

Overall, very well done sir. My question would be if this is intended to be your interpretation or an accurate cover?

Vocals are very good, performances are very good. Mix-wise there is a bit of sparkle missing. You got plenty of low end, but I'd love to hear some Tony Levin fretless in there.
Percussion and guitars could be a little crisper.

If this is an interpretation, A+. If an accurate cover, B-:)
These are minor personal nits. I think you did a great job, certainly something i wouldn't attempt. :D

Thanks, yes more an interpretation. I don't have a fretless bass at my disposal or someone who can play it like that :)

Last edited:
I happen to agree with you. It's just not crisp. Do you have any suggestions on how to clean that up moving forward?

I deal with it myself, so I'm not an expert in this, but generally HP filter what is unneeded and then use a peak filter to isolate and remove build up (use something like Voxango Span to graphically see if you can't hear it).

Your vocals are getting much much better. The tone is nice and clear. Delivery is decent. I think double tracked vocals would be better.

I thought the high hats were a little too far to the left.

The appregiated guitar sounded very nice.

The bass is a little muddy and indistinct.

The drums in the pre-chorus sounded cool.

The backing vocals in the chorus could come up a little.

Any further tweeking on this song? I'd love to hear it. For me this tune is one of my all time favorites.
If I was stuck on a desert island with only a cassette player and one mix tape, this song would be on it. Of course I'd have a solar panel to power the cassette deck. :D

Unfortunately if I do any tweeking it can only be of the mastering sort of the last mix I did from Cubase. My drive with the tracks on it crashed and I had to reformat. I had no back up. I know, I know, always back up.

I am gonna try to some mastering to get a crisper/brighter sound. Thanks for asking, I will post it here soon.

Damn##! So all your session files are gone? Do you at least have the wav files?

Nope, all gone. At least it was a cover tune that I learned my lesson on. I now have process of backing up my current sessions on a thumb drive in the case that it happens again, which will one day I know. When I started home recording the first thing I produced were some of my originals, I wasn't happy with them so I decided to work on some cover material to get better at the recording process and as a learning experience. Well I learned alright :)

Back