Pearl of the Quarter

K-dub

Just because ... well ... I taped it while I was checking out recording levels on the new mixer ...

The new recording console btw ... is the Soundcraft UI24. I'm recording multitrack right into a USB stick on the board.

The keys sound good. I might scale back some of the FX on the vox tho.

Edit: Pulled up the original. They seem to have a little of the phaser effect that you have too. It's a lot less pronounced tho, and it sounds like it's less an effect than the way his voice interacts with itself while multi-tracked.

The keys sound good. I might scale back some of the FX on the vox tho.

Edit: Pulled up the original. They seem to have a little of the phaser effect that you have too. It's a lot less pronounced tho, and it sounds like it's less an effect than the way his voice interacts with itself while multi-tracked.

Yep. You got it, bud.

I actually did the tracking of this using a TC Helicon voice box ... the one where you can add harmonies w/ yourself? It has a chorus/doubler built into it, and so I ran the vocal through that and then into the recording console. Truth be told, I thought it sounded fine live (through the PA). It wasn't until I got the tracks up in the studio that I went, "Whoa -- that's SWIMMIMG in chorus." By then, though ... it was what it tracked.

The UI24 is an interesting box, though. It's got 24 inputs and 12 outs (2 mains - 8 aux), so it can be used for PA purposes ... which is what my band uses it for. The "console" is virtual ... via wired or wireless tap. It is browser based, so all you need to do is connect, and the console is internally accessed via the device.

The kicker is that it can either record direct to a USB thumbdrive (or USB SSD) or via a USB cable to a DAW. So what I've been doing. I've been recording onto a 125G stick and then transferring the files/tracks up to my studio to work on my main DAW (Sonar).

It's a new methodology, but I'm having fun learning it.

I DID, though, eventually dry up the vocal when I rolled the tape on this Billy Joel cover:

I agree the keys sound nice.

Some swirliness in the vocal, not sure why. Some sort of delay or reverb or doubling or something.

I agree the keys sound nice.

Some swirliness in the vocal, not sure why. Some sort of delay or reverb or doubling or something.

Swirly? Really Steve? Something was really something something. :D

I'm having fun learning the new rig. IT'S SO EASY.

God I love technology that makes things simple.

Here's another one I rolled off in a pass.

I'm not sure swirly was the best way to describe it. The effect wasn't horrible or easily noticeable. But there was just a high-ish end swooshiness or something that wasn't exactly right.

I'm not sure swirly was the best way to describe it. The effect wasn't horrible or easily noticeable. But there was just a high-ish end swooshiness or something that wasn't exactly right.

It was swishy swishy swishy chorus. I didn't hear it through the PA when I was tracking it/monitoring it live -- but BOY did I hear it when I got everything upstairs to my DAW to mix it.

... but because it was through an effects box prior to input ... I couldn't take it out. It was as tracked. The last two covers I did were done dry on the way in.

It's a neat box (TC Helicon) ... if one wants to add harmonic textures live. It's gimmicky, but cool.

I've done the same thing previously using plug ins ... but a guitarist in my band had one and let me use it. I was hooked to what it could do.

Nice jobs Kevin. You're quite the performer!

Thanks Kiernan! We're just starting in recording w/ the new group, and these are fun side projects as I set vocal and keyboard levels on the Soundcraft console. We start tomorrow recording new material.

Back