Out of Mind, Out of Sight (Rock/Metal)

BCF1

I just got my first ever pair of monitors, KRK RP-5's
up until now I did everything using my home stereo with big old 80's tower speakers.
The difference is huge and drastic. Not use to the monitors yet but hopefully my mixes will improve now that I can actually hear without all the added coloration from the home stereo and speakers.

This tune was tracked using the home stereo so some choices made then are a factor ..........so be it.
This is my first go at a mix with the new monitors, any critique would be appreciated.

Thanks !!

***Edit - new mix here: OUT OF MIND, OUT OF SIGHT by WrisTLocK | ReverbNation

Out of Mind, Out of Sight

Last edited:
Nice old school vibe. I've got no issues with the mix on headphones but it is a little harsh up top.. I like the song and the arrangement it's well put together. Good job

Nice sounding mix and good song ...

I'd say the bass guitar could be a little more weighty in it's fundamentals, and the bite on the electrics could be smoothed out a little in the sides. And the guitar solos are *a bit too loud* up the middle. They drown out a lot of the mix when they kick in.

Also, the first guitar solo is really cool/technical, but it sounds like it was done in the wrong key. The song key switches to F# during the solo, but I suspect the solo was done in the same key as the verses/chorus, but in a different mode to try to connect with the key change?

I thought the playing and energy was excellent.

I thought the guitars were dominating the vocal. I'd nudge the guitars down a bit and nudge the vocal up a bit.

I'd like just a little more bite in the guitars. A gentle - 1db boost, maybe an octave wide, centered in the low 2Khz range.

To me, the bass was a little boingy and sterile. If you have a low end boost, I'd back it off a bit. If you've cut the low midrange, I'd put some back. That should warm the bass up a little bit.

Drums sound OK. Kick is a little thuddy. Too much low end for me.

Really tight doubling on the rhythm guits.

There is a guitar that comes in near the end, just before the last solo goes on. It was a bit loud.

All in all, I thought it was pretty good.

Nice old school vibe. I've got no issues with the mix on headphones but it is a little harsh up top.. I like the song and the arrangement it's well put together. Good job

Thanks !!

Nice sounding mix and good song ...

I'd say the bass guitar could be a little more weighty in it's fundamentals, and the bite on the electrics could be smoothed out a little in the sides. And the guitar solos are *a bit too loud* up the middle. They drown out a lot of the mix when they kick in.

remix underway ***

Also, the first guitar solo is really cool/technical, but it sounds like it was done in the wrong key. The song key switches to F# during the solo, but I suspect the solo was done in the same key as the verses/chorus, but in a different mode to try to connect with the key change?

^^^ That is a very reasonable assumption and absolutely correct. The key change, the C - F# thing has caused me to lose sleep and likely hair. My dog won't sit by me and the wife now sleeps with the guitar instead of me. I'm a self un-taught player, that may or may not be a factor but I tried everything I could think of to make that work..........failed..........so I made an attempt at misdirection or redirecting focus...blind em with the bling bling....guess that failed also
:( :facepalm: anyone know a scale or mode that will work ?
maybe I'll go for the tremolo dive bomb into a squealing swine call harmonic thing.
I can do that in key...........................well maybe

Thanks checkin it out and for the comment !!!

I thought the playing and energy was excellent.

I thought the guitars were dominating the vocal. I'd nudge the guitars down a bit and nudge the vocal up a bit.

I'd like just a little more bite in the guitars. A gentle - 1db boost, maybe an octave wide, centered in the low 2Khz range.

To me, the bass was a little boingy and sterile. If you have a low end boost, I'd back it off a bit. If you've cut the low midrange, I'd put some back. That should warm the bass up a little bit.

Drums sound OK. Kick is a little thuddy. Too much low end for me.

Really tight doubling on the rhythm guits.

There is a guitar that comes in near the end, just before the last solo goes on. It was a bit loud.

All in all, I thought it was pretty good.

Trying the mix again, will keep all things mentioned and your ideas in mind while doing it.

Thanks guys ...........Appreciate the thoughts and direction !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey BCF, nice job. I agree with TripM, a little more bite in those rhythm guitars, but just a tad. Solos sound great, definitely fit the style. I hear what RedStone is saying about the solo's key, but in my opinion what you did fits in a metal sort of way. I wouldn't worry about it, I'd leave it as is.

Vocals could come up a tad, and the kick is a little muddy. Those are easy fixes though, try to cut a little 80-120 from the kick and see what happens. If that doesn't work try 60ish, if that doesn't cut it try 150ish or even a little higher- this can help the bass poke though as well. Point is, experiment. Try it with the bass too, cut some extreme lows and give a tiny lo-mid boost, like somewhere between 200-400 maybe... You're not far, a few tweaks will make this sound much better. Very nice recording overall.

The squeals sound great, what kind of an axe is on this?

Hey BCF, nice job. I agree with TripM, a little more bite in those rhythm guitars, but just a tad. Solos sound great, definitely fit the style. I hear what RedStone is saying about the solo's key, but in my opinion what you did fits in a metal sort of way. I wouldn't worry about it, I'd leave it as is.

Vocals could come up a tad, and the kick is a little muddy. Those are easy fixes though, try to cut a little 80-120 from the kick and see what happens. If that doesn't work try 60ish, if that doesn't cut it try 150ish or even a little higher- this can help the bass poke though as well. Point is, experiment. Try it with the bass too, cut some extreme lows and give a tiny lo-mid boost, like somewhere between 200-400 maybe... You're not far, a few tweaks will make this sound much better. Very nice recording overall.

The squeals sound great, what kind of an axe is on this?

Hey Thanks Johnny : )

I tried to address things mentioned in the comments in this newly tweaked mix:

OUT OF MIND, OUT OF SIGHT by WrisTLocK | ReverbNation

(guitar is a Les Paul)

Love to hear the bass come up.. have a heavier bite to it too. Guitars could grunge up a bit too. Old school is working here..

Back