Original Song For Mix Critique

The solo acoustic (what is it - a dobro?) is pure money. The bass is sweet. The vocals sound good. I'm listening on cans so can't really deep critique. You didn't ask for comments on the song so I won't go there :-)

Chuck

Very good. Like the lead vocal, the harmonies, and the guitars. Drums and bass are unobtrusive, too much so?

The acoustic guitar on the left ear is a bit to high-end for my taste and doesn't really fit in the mix.
Very good harmonies and playing! I would put this song on my playlist anyday!

With love

The mix is fine, maybe a little bright, but thats a style. You dont necessarily need a sound engineer to make a good mix.

The vocals are sounding really fine though!

Yea, I like it. Nice easygoing groove. I concur with CMolena that the guitars and vocals are a little crisp, maybe lacking in warmth. But otherwise it sounds great.

Wow thanks for all the compliments and helpful comments!! I bounced this song down a few times and noticed how bright it was, so I went back and put a low pass on the guitar tracks. After stepping away for a few days and now listening back I agree with the majority here. The top end still sounds a little harsh and the guitars/mandolin could use a little more beef. Thank you so much for listening!!

Hey thanks for kind words! The acoustic solo is just a regular acoustic guitar miked 6in from the 12th fret with an AT4050

Hey thanks for kind words! The acoustic solo is just a regular acoustic guitar miked 6in from the 12th fret with an AT4050

4050 is one of my favorites. There are dozens and dozens of new cheap LDCs out there that no one ever seems to mention this mic anymore. The 4033 and 4050 are about the best values going. I've been using my 4033 continuously since 1994 - and on everything :-)

My impression of the vocal is that it was either recorded with a mic that hypes the high end, or you over-EQ'ed it a taste. It could have a bit more warmth, and it would still cut through the mix. It's got no competition.

Sweet sweet tune.

Awesome tune and great playing, my only comments would be that the panning is a bit severe, and as others have said maybe a bit more bottom on the vocal?

Sounds great, well performed! Sounds a bit bright to me, starting to wonder if it's my headphones today cause I made that comment a couple times now. Nice song, seens a little short, I'd like to hear more. :)

I liked the sound and playing on all the instruments.

Everything, particularly the mandolin (or whatever the lead instrument was), had a "recorded in a bedroom" sound.

The thing I thought need mix attention was the vocal. It had a hyped hi-midrange sound. Like someone went overboard with the EQ in the presence range. It gave it a bit of a harsh/scratchy sound.

Back