original rock song- "Walked Away"

Wow... I hear a bunch of some of my favorite influences in there... little RATT, little Crue, and a dash of general 80's goodness throughout.
I love they way "I stood there" before the first bridge breaks out a little from the mix, then settles back in. Are you playing all of the guitars? Some GREAT guitar work in there. then there is the "quiet" bridge, love the variation vs. pure straight metal all the way through. You got some creative chops for sure.

Mixwise, it all sounded really good to me, thought i was listening to the radio. Vocals are solid, in tune, and the leads are awesome.

My only real feedback would be more prominent kick/snare -- they are quieter than the cymbals, or so it feels. Again, that is a preference thing. but man, as I listen to it again, that is minor feedback. "gonna make a new friend"... that sounds sweet.

Great job! I'd buy this album!

Are you still doing revisions on this song despite the album being out?

I wouldn't mind more power out of the drums.
The timing on "same" around 1:49 is a little off between the takes.

Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty cohesive mix.

This sounds like a pretty damn good mix to me. Great guitar tones/playing, and excellent vocals. I've got no nits at all --- very impressive!

Sounds killer, man. Tim nailed it with the Ratt or Crue feel. Very "sleazy" in a good way. I think the kick and snare could be a little hotter, but it works as is. The vocal harmony part in the middle was cool, had a 70's vibe to it. Nice guitar work from a fellow player. What are your main axes?

Wow... I hear a bunch of some of my favorite influences in there... little RATT, little Crue, and a dash of general 80's goodness throughout.
I love they way "I stood there" before the first bridge breaks out a little from the mix, then settles back in. Are you playing all of the guitars? Some GREAT guitar work in there. then there is the "quiet" bridge, love the variation vs. pure straight metal all the way through. You got some creative chops for sure.

Mixwise, it all sounded really good to me, thought i was listening to the radio. Vocals are solid, in tune, and the leads are awesome.

My only real feedback would be more prominent kick/snare -- they are quieter than the cymbals, or so it feels. Again, that is a preference thing. but man, as I listen to it again, that is minor feedback. "gonna make a new friend"... that sounds sweet.

Great job! I'd buy this album!

hi timevracer! appreciate the comments......
i'd have to say crue and ratt were never influences,
but they did have that aggressive approach to crunchy rhythms that i like...

yes, i play everything on this, one man band thing.
programmed drums in toontracks superior drummer.

and it's funny you mention 'metal', i'd never classify this as metal, it's more straight rock and blues to me,
with a progressive edge, but still has a blues feel, albeit a bit jacked up.

Are you still doing revisions on this song despite the album being out?

I wouldn't mind more power out of the drums.
The timing on "same" around 1:49 is a little off between the takes.

Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty cohesive mix.

hey steve,
no, i've settled on this one.

you know, the 'power' on the drum mix comes and goes,
as per the mix,
based on when i want it to lift, and when i want it to sit back and support.

it's a pretty moving mix, EVERYTHING is coming and going at different levels, positions,
it's a very fluid mix.

This sounds like a pretty damn good mix to me. Great guitar tones/playing, and excellent vocals. I've got no nits at all --- very impressive!

hello beagle!
glad you dig the tones,
those are all done with my vintagy mesa boogie Mark IIb 60 watt head, pretty much loud,
but most of the captures are done with a palmer pdi-09, some are done with a direct mic.

i have a real hard time going back, listening, trying to tell which ones were mic and which were direct......
in solo mode, you can sometimes hear the 'room' sound, that's the giveaway..
with a 57 close on the edge of the speaker,
it'a almost identical to the palmer

hello beagle!
glad you dig the tones,
those are all done with my vintagy mesa boogie Mark IIb 60 watt head, pretty much loud,
but most of the captures are done with a palmer pdi-09, some are done with a direct mic.

i have a real hard time going back, listening, trying to tell which ones were mic and which were direct......
in solo mode, you can sometimes hear the 'room' sound, that's the giveaway..
with a 57 close on the edge of the speaker,
it'a almost identical to the palmer

I hadn't heard of the Palmer before. So it's not just a direct box, but a speaker simulator as well? Can the speaker simulator function be defeated?

Les Paul on the track?

Nice piece of kit!

Bit of a hint of Leppard around the vocals. Sounds great on headphones. Like it

hello bulls hit!
LOL, that always cracks me up still...

leppard eh?

hm, yea i guess i could hear that, never an influence tho, my influence date a little earlier than that,
plus i think they were way overproduced... i usually only use one voice per track, and usually no more than 3 or 4 part harmonies, kinda basic production really.

i like the mixes in the headphones too, i think most people listen these days that way the most.

i'd rather it was cranked really loud thru a full range system!
that's where the mixes really shine

Sounds killer, man. Tim nailed it with the Ratt or Crue feel. Very "sleazy" in a good way. I think the kick and snare could be a little hotter, but it works as is. The vocal harmony part in the middle was cool, had a 70's vibe to it. Nice guitar work from a fellow player. What are your main axes?

hi johnny! thanks for hearing this one out.......

funny, this ratt and crue thing come up often enough to make me curious about it...
was never a fan of either, and don't really know their material,
so i cued up a bunch of stuff on utoob and listened,
i gotta say, i really don't hear it at all,
but no matter,
folks get a 'vibe' from the things they know, and it's easy to compare vibes that way,
but i always thought of those bands as more 'metal', which is just not my bag.

main axes:
View attachment 99022

left to right, '84 carvin DC200K, '77 Ibanez Artist 2618, custom Williams special ('86), USACG super strat, which is the one i used the most on this tune.

I hadn't heard of the Palmer before. So it's not just a direct box, but a speaker simulator as well? Can the speaker simulator function be defeated?

Les Paul on the track?

Nice piece of kit!

hey beagle,
the palmer is not a speaker simulator.

it is a passive DI, that takes the full output of a tube amp and steps it down to LINE level,
and put's it thru a cabinet filter circuit, with 3 choices of settings.
kinda like approximating 3 different cab setups.

PDI09 Palmer MI PDI 09 - Passive DI Box for Guitars

"...it is a passive DI, that takes the full output of a tube amp and steps it down to LINE level,
and put's it thru a cabinet filter circuit, with 3 choices of settings.
kinda like approximating 3 different cab setups..."
Like a speaker simulator or emulator...
as it says on the page you linked to...
Model name: PDI09Passive DI Box for Guitars
Passive DI box especially designed for guitars.

The PDI09 can be connected between an effect device or amplifier and the mixing console. The PDI09 is not suitable for direct connection to a guitar. Integrated filter circuits simulate the authentic "speaker" sound. Tone can be varied between "Mellow", "Normal", or "Bright".

right, not software emulation or simulation,
such as IR's

---------- Update ----------

and you can tell it works well!

Back