Original power pop song (need mix feedback)

How would you rate this mix?

• Very good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Bad

• Very bad

• Total voters

Big Thier

Hi guys, I'd like some honest feedback and criticism on this song.

I produced it, wrote the lyrics/vocal melody, recorded and sang the vocals, and mixed it. It's not mastered yet.

I'm not able to upload my file for a reason, so you can stream it on Bandcamp (stream is 128 kbps) or download it in lossless format:
Facing The Tide (demo) | Eve Of Spring

Thank you very much.

Kick drum is loud on my speakers. The vocal is having a tough time competing with with everything else (it sounds high-passed at a very high frequency), I think mostly the jangly guitar that is panned part-right.

Listening now, the vocals are indeed way too high-passed. I have a tendency of chiseling a lot of low end away.

I boosted some of that low end on the vocals, and reduced the treble on the 2 jangly guitars. I think vocals sound clearer now. I also reduced a tiny bit the volume of the kick.

**The updated version is already on Bandcamp (same link)**

I was a little unsure of if was tuning artifacts on the other song you posted, but this really confirms it (good news is that your vocals are mixed to a better level here). It sounds like Cher and Tom Delonge went through Jeff Goldblum's teleporter.

Can you spread those guitars out more? Seems like they're banging away too close to the vocal, at least for me.

Definitely not bad, seems a little thin though, trying to listen to figure out why.

Kind of quiet overall, maybe 'cuz it's not mastered yet, but the bass seems a little weak. Could use more thump and low end.

Vocals seem a little thin as well. Maybe hi-passed too much still, some lows could give it more impact, it has plenty of mids. What frequency did you hi-pass it at?

At one point towards the end, one of the guitars sounded a tad out of tune for just a chord or two, nothing major though.

The stereo image as a whole seems a little thin as well for some reason, very black-and-white sounding.

Snare sounds nice. I think the hats are too centered though.

Guitars seem to be lacking some low-mid punch.

As a whole, not too far off, just needs a little work. It lacks punch and impact, seems the main theme here is not enough low-mid energy overall.

It sounds pretty good. I'm liking the levels all around. It seems pretty balanced and vocals are forward as they should be in a pop mix. But man, those tuning effects on the lead vocal! Just, why? They kill it for me.

Really good melody and song. I would strongly consider background vocals on the main chorus lines, it would help tremendously. Decent mix, I'd actually like to take a stab at it... PM me if you would consider letting me have a go at the mix.

Back