An orchestral soundtrack song

Michikawa

I managed to compose this simple and short soundtrack song called Remembrance with quite traditional harmonies:

http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=168307&type=dl

If for some reason the link brings you to the project page, you can find the song second in the list. My greatest fault at the moment is lack of mixing and mastering, the overall volume level is way too small because I didn't manage to do meaningful EQ or dynamic-change, but would be nice to know what you think about the musical ideas at the moment?

You don't really want to screw with dynamics on a classical piece. Actually the dynamic range is correct for the style. However you are peaking a little less than -2dB, so just turn it up a little. The highest peaks are coming from low bass, so if you feel it needs to be louder without using compression, trim those a bit.

Generally, I like the piece, but some of the sounds are not realistic, so if you're going for the illusion of an orchestra, I would make some changes.

The trombone in the beginning is not a realistic patch. Not enough attack, and too much stereo width for a solo instrument. During the orchestral sections, the low end is tubby--tympani needs some attack, and the string bass should have some midrange overtones. There's a lot going on sub-40Hz you might want to have a listen to--that's the lowest note for a string bass. The string patch (cello?) during the orchestral section is not realistic, and the violins seem to be MIA.

The harp that accompanies the piano could use a bit more separation, and remember that harps are usually at the stage right rear of the orchestra. Piano could be on the opposite side, or in front for a concerto.

There is no content above 16kHz, which is maybe a limitation of the synth, maybe the .mp3, but it leaves behind a lack of air.

The pacing is good; I'd spruce up the piano in the middle a bit, maybe a bit brighter and played with a little flair, that would help move that section along.

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, because I think this is rather enjoyable. I'd be doing this sort of stuff if I could play keyboards and figure out MIDI :)

mshilarious: You don't sound too harsh at all, actually your suggestions and ideas are probably just what I'll need to move forward with this :) Thank you for your precision and effort. I have to try and see what kind of changes I'll manage to do with these guidelines.

And I'm glad that the musical ideas don't sound too bad/boring :)

Sounds very nice, very mellow and encourages vistas of lost lands and peaceful places. Listened to some of your other stuff - same - same.
Is there a reason you only use software synths?
Anyway, every time I try to write and record something like this, I end up putting a drumbeat into it and turning it into something Pop. I will be upgrading to a new Roland Fanton in a couple of months and I'm definately going to try something like this. Keep up the good work :) .

Glad to hear you like it :) The reason for use of software synths is basically money and another reason is that nowadays they have become (almost) good enough for this kind of work. I have to admit that I haven't checked out how well physical synthezisers manage to emulate real orchestral sounds, but I'd be surprised if at least somewhat economical choices would manage better than sample libraries. GigaStudio is a really good tool and you are able to get some really nice sounding libraries for it at a bargain price.

Sets a definite mood... it's a very pretty piece. Great piano part. So much of it is comprised of sustaining instruments that the piano and pizzicato strings would add more personality I think if they had just a bit more emphasis on their attack transients, however that could be done with the samples or their processing. It'd make a good contrast with the homogenous overall tone I think and add more "liveness".

Tim

Back