Opionions on this mix?

Overall the sounds are good, but the mix sounds awkward to me. I'm a huge proponent of loud vocals, but these are really sticking out in a bad way. They are eq'd like going through a megaphone, too much mid. I'd at least add some nice room sound and find a way to get them to blend into the mix. If your not compressing them I'd try knocking off a few(3-4) db at 4:1 and then put a hard limiter to knock 1db off of that. Those are basic vocal settings that shouldnt change the tone much.

OK, disclaimer. This is not my type of music, and I didn't listen all the way til the end. I couldn't, because I was getting a headache. Maybe this is headbanging music and that's the way you want it, but imo this is way, way, way overcompressed. It sounds like you compressed everything in the mix on it's own, and then compressed the entire mix, and then for good measure ran it through a brick wall limiter. You really need to let some dynamics in, give it some air.

The instrument sounds are not bad, but let everything breathe a little. I know loudness tends to be a goal until itself these days, but unfortunately it's at the sake of the music. The waveform does not need to be one solid mass.

I didnt hear much difference to be honest. I think the vocals sound better but I'm listening on cheap speakers at the moment so IDK? I listen to loud mixes all the time that sound good, but you do have to use some finess to get them there. There's alot of masking going on which gets worse when you put the mastering limiter on. In other words you cant have more than a few things on the same frequency without it becoming mush. Its difficult in this genre because everthing wants to be the loudest and you end up with nothing being the loudest, because its all in competition for its space. I'd still work to clean it up a bit, but what really counts is whether you like it. What do you think of it?

Rhythm guitars sound kind of thin for my taste, but thats just a preference. They are, at the very least, audible.

The mix overall, lacks a certain...glued-togetherness. Actually as I'm listening through, I'm liking the rhythm guitars less and less. They definitely sound muddy and are lacking some bite in that 1.5 - 3k range. You can try to add some EQ but I really think a re-track is in order.

Just my 2 cents

I would agree with dachay2tnr - it seemed a bit over compressed. I think if you opened it up a bit it would improve the overall mix. Right now things are a bit flat sounding.

I liked the song though.

Definately sounds better, when you say Masterbuss do you mean you had a compressor on the master buss when you made the mix? Thats a learning lesson right there. While some pro engineers may use a light limiter on the master buss, most guys home recording dont do it. Your better off making a nice clean airy mix file, then loading that file into a separate project and using some good quality mastering tools/plugins. At least one good limiter and one good EQ. You can even ask someone (or pay) to have your mixes mastered. In summary they are two separate processes. Mixing and Mastering.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Well I track and mix at very quiet levels so there's no risk of clipping or distortion. I usually don't let the master bus pass -18db. So before I render a project I stick Slate FG-X on the master bus. I dial it til the loudest part of the song averages -9rms. There's a compression knob in FG-X I turn sometimes. It was pumping this song in a bad way and I realized it because of you guys.

Back