Opinion & comments needed for my latest mix

dabluesman

I just finished this up and would like to hear comments on the mixing. This recording is a lot of first's for me: First time I have ever sang, first time I have ever recorded singing, first time I have mic'ed an acoustic guitar (sm57), first time I have used hard panning on my guitar tracks. Oh and first time I have ever done the 80's style "two octive at the same time" spooky guitar thing. I really want to know how the vocals sit in the mix (as well as every thing else.) Thanks!

I call this one Believe

You think the vocals should come down a db or two?

Last edited:
good story telling feel to this..

imhop, the electric/acoustic sounds aren't working.. I would pick one and use it.. not bad vocals for the first time man, but @1:05 the vocals would be better sung out LOUD.. the same melody only sung heavy.. and loud.. not whispering.. the guitar harmony was cool! I can barely hear the vocal harmony.. you should bring that up.. pretty cool song..

I guess since I cant stand my own voice, is why I want to bury it in the track... I just lowered it a bit then gave the whole song an overall boost. To me it sounds better, then again i'm playing it back through an Aiwa shelf stereo system.. Do you think I should bump the vocals back up? (I wish I had some real monitors..) Thanks!

Man that's a LOT of 'firsts!' But you nailed a lot of good stuff here. I agree with B.Sabbath - I'd stick with the acoustic or electric - this one could go either way, but you have some nice electric sounds.

I didn't catch the background vocals until the third listen -guess that means they gotta come up (for me anyway.)

Right at 1:51 the triplets in the electric didn't match the hi-hat triplets - nit-pick.

Pretty decent guitar sound for a first-time run using a dynamic mic.

Keep at it - good effort!!
Milan

Believe.... House of the Rising sun... almost :D Could you attempt
this, vocally, one more octave up? Your just at the bottom of your
range, it sounds like (that's all)...

Really a lot going on in your arrangement here. Twisted, in a good
way. Almost a metal song... the lows on your hardpanned guitars really
muddy up the center for bass, drums, and vocals. If possible roll off
some of those lows on elecs (below around 150Hz). See if that don't
open up things.

Keep goin!

Chad

Ok I bumped the vocals back up and redid the bass guitar track. I tried lowering the lows on the guitars but just couldnt get a sound I was happy with.. It was like shrinking the guitar's balls... So I rerecorded the bass guitar with more lows.. I probably just muddied it up more. I cant seem to get the bass guitar to match the punch of the kick drum. It drives me crazy. The latest version is now available at the original link. Thanks!

Back