Only You

First impressions:

* The percussion's dry and out front and the other stuff is wet with space and pushed back. It might sound better if everything was in the same space.

* The ghostly synth needs more separation so that it can be heard.

* Yeah, there are many small timing issues with the percussion. I *love* real percussion, but it's got to be TIGHT. You can be sloppy with lots of stuff and get away with it, but not percussion. I can usually nail a guitar part in three takes, and a vocal in two. Percussion takes me ten or more. And then I re-do it the next day. :D

First impressions:

* The percussion's dry and out front and the other stuff is wet with space and pushed back. It might sound better if everything was in the same space.

* The ghostly synth needs more separation so that it can be heard.

* Yeah, there are many small timing issues with the percussion. I *love* real percussion, but it's got to be TIGHT. You can be sloppy with lots of stuff and get away with it, but not percussion. I can usually nail a guitar part in three takes, and a vocal in two. Percussion takes me ten or more. And then I re-do it the next day. :D

Thanks, I'm not a percussionist, just trying to tap out a beat on the back of my guitar and shake an egg in time. But your right, it is sloppy. I'm not sure how to separate the synths. There are actually two going on, a erie pad and a moog saw buzz thing. They're each panned opposite at 10 & 2 with the volume set low, no eq. I didn't want their sound to be overpowering the gtr's. I will go back and re-tap the beats :) and run them through the same reverb bus as the gtr's.

I think I will try another bass line too, something that follows the gtr a bit more.

I agree that the timing is not real tight. I like the tune..are you going to add a vocal or is it an instrumental?

I'm not sure how to separate the synths. There are actually two going on, a erie pad and a moog saw buzz thing. They're each panned opposite at 10 & 2 with the volume set low, no eq. I didn't want their sound to be overpowering the gtr's.

EQ, delay, distortion. That's the order in which I reach for something to make a part more separate.

Nice guitar. Bass seems kinda low. I think it's ok to up the bass when there's no real drum kit. Also helps to record the guitar without a HPF if you're not gonna use drums too. Have to have a good room though. Like the synth too. I'm guessing this is just a quick pass on the percussion? You can't play that tight, then tap a beat so crappy;) Like the motif.

I do have lyrics, though my singing is worse than my drumming lol, but I'll give it a go and maybe guilt trip a real singer into tracking some vocals for me.

I'd like to hear this with the vocals. Right now, it's got a big gaping hole in the middle of the stereo field.

I thought you can add more definition to the bass by adding some more around 1khz (?? I think that's where it needs it).

Match the percussion up with the guitars as far as reverb/delay/whatever to get them in the same room.

Overall, the mix seems close. small tweaks from now on to dial it in.

Cool!!!

I don't know how you feel about collaboration, but if you send me the guitar tracks, I'll do the bass and percussion parts, and add vocals. I've got lyrics.

Hey, yeah I agree with Chili - vocals would make a huge difference as there's a big space between the bass and the high acoustic picking. It's an interesting base - be cool to hear it with some tighter percussion and begged/stolen/borrowed vocals from somewhere. Hope you keep working on it fizz.

okay, tried to fix "drumming" issues. and upped the bass line a bit in the mix. Got rid of the hand clapping.

Same track with a different bass line.

I've gotta go to work now. I'll track some vocals tomorrow and post.

But which bass line should I use? does it matter? And should I re-track the hand clap?

I'm listening to the first version fuzzy and Chili pretty much nailed it. Everthing out wide, nothing in the middle - now I guess if you put a vocal in there that solves that problem, but I'd probably like to see something else there.

Shaker eggs are a bitch... I can't do one in time... you're not alone!

I can imagine this coming up nice with some words and singing... do you have actual words written?

Philoshers &get poets, they all know your name. Flowers & clouds they can see your flame. But only I can touch your love, our love goes on forever & ever our love. Only you can touch my love, our love goes on forever &ever ever our love.

Then it's guitar solo time...lol.

Philoshers &get poets, they all know your name. Flowers & clouds they can see your flame. But only I can touch your love, our love goes on forever & ever our love. Only you can touch my love, our love goes on forever &ever ever our love.

Then it's guitar solo time...lol.

That works!!! :D

Back