one thing

Dobro,
I'd pull the higher vocal back a little so that the lower is THE one.
The bass seems a little wooly which makes the lines seem tentative or uncertain.
Another entertaining & idiosyncratic tune mate - I enjoyed it!

Return of the trumpet!

Yeah, while I can hear the bass and guitar pretty clearly, I think you could separate them more through panning or EQ or something so that they're more distinct from one another. It sounds a bit jumbled together to me, but I'm not on the best set-up here. I think the percussion could come up some maybe? Fun little number. :)

heat - Yeah, stage two involves EQ and compression - the percussion and bass are begging for it.

rayc - you're right.

Think I would try panning a little wider. Agree with Heat. Sounds are so funky I want to hear them farther apart.

The first mix wasn't panned at all. The second mix had the guitar mics panned at 70% left and right and the bongo mics panned 30% left and right. I'm thinking I have to separate the panned sounds more. Thanks for the ears.

I'd like to hear the bongos pop a little more, maybe a little verb or something. And the guitars could come up a hair.
Really cool, fun tune.

I got nothing to add - it sounds balanced enough for me whereby I'd be unlikely to notice any further improvements in that regard unless they were pointed out.

I like the pace that it moves along. The vocal arrangement is really nice - there's the two points contrast well without ever sounding messy or trampling over each other's space.

I thought this was really cool. This is my favorite song of yours. Wasn't a huge fan of the "trumpet impersonation". But everything else was cool. Love the vibe and I love the bass. To me, the bass drives the song.

I did get the same feeling as heatmiser that the tracks are "jumbled" together. How about take that acoustic guitar track, double it, and pan them wide? It'd broaden the mix and maybe leave a clearer path for the vocals down the middle.

I'd like to hear the bongos pop a little more, maybe a little verb or something.

Yeah, they're driving me crazy - I'm really struggling to get them heard. Maybe some space on them will help. Thanks for listening, Mr Fleet.

Okay, fleet confirmed my dislike of the bongos so I retracked them. Multed some stuff and tweaked. There's some verb here and there.

Mix round 3 up above. :)

Last edited:
I got nothing to add - it sounds balanced enough for me whereby I'd be unlikely to notice any further improvements in that regard unless they were pointed out.

Hey thanks for listening and encouraging. I think it can still be improved though. (That's why I retracked the percussion.)

I thought this was really cool. This is my favorite song of yours. Wasn't a huge fan of the "trumpet impersonation". But everything else was cool. Love the vibe and I love the bass. To me, the bass drives the song.

I did get the same feeling as heatmiser that the tracks are "jumbled" together. How about take that acoustic guitar track, double it, and pan them wide? It'd broaden the mix and maybe leave a clearer path for the vocals down the middle.

Hmm...thanks for the comment about the bass. I hadn't thought of it as central, but you've changed my mind. It does pulse, yeah. Thanks. If you check the third mix above, I've started to pan stuff. I've got the guitars about &0% left and right. I think I can more of a sense of separation with them though.

Mix three - cool.
New basscentric pulse is good but the octave/short runs pop out just a little too much.

I like mix #3. I like the panning. And mix #3 also seems to have some of the high-midrange tamed a bit.

I'd say it's done.

Mix three - cool.
New basscentric pulse is good but the octave/short runs pop out just a little too much.

Okay, I reigned it in a decibel. :D Thanks very much for following this one.

I like mix #3. I like the panning. And mix #3 also seems to have some of the high-midrange tamed a bit.

I'd say it's done.

Well, I had to tweak some stuff like getting those two guitars better panned, but I'm leaving it on the shelf for the time being. Thanks for the nudge.

Round 4 above.

Back