One Mic Session

CMolena

Hey everyone.

I, along with some friends, have started to organize some sessions mainly for local bands. We go in, record three songs during their rehearsal and then we publish and share it on Youtube. Much like Violinist Sessions or any other "sessions" we can find on youtube.

The main deal about the mix I'm gonna send to you is...I've recorded it with one mic. I placed one mic at one end of the room and I picked the vocals from the mixing desk. I have only four inputs...so I thought that using one mic would be easier to conduct the recording.

So, I want you guys to hear if it sounds good. Oh, and ANY tips from you guys about recording live with few inputs would be really welcomed. As always most of you know a lot more than me and I'm here to learn anyways.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7KSe2HNTU

Thanks!

really doesn't sound too bad. Good to see everything which is cool too. With the way your going about it, it will always sound the way you have it....mono. I would suggest experimenting with two mics to try and atleast capture a little bit of a stereo image. You could always do one left, right and center. Just watch for phasing issues. Regardless its cool what your doing.

Thanks Bruthish.

Just one more info which could help you picture the situation...I place the mic exactly below the camera! We had to "tune" the band prior to record, because once recorded, I couldnt really fix it, cause its live and all. (And I would never fix it anyways.)

hahah that's fucking cool. I like those guys. They need to make an album and let me download it for free lol.

I liked it too. The band has good energy and groove. The sound quality is what I'd expect if if I heard them playing a club, and that's fine. Honestly, I'm surprised you were able to capture their sound as cleanly as you did with a single mic in that small space. I want those curved acoustic panels! Please ship them to me FedEx... ;)

Beyond that, I agree with the previous comment that it would be worth recording them in stereo, if your equipment and space permits. If you could give the lead vocal its own track, even better.

Excellent - sounds great for one mic. Lots of energy and attitude and capturing it on video makes the whole thing that much better! Tell the rhythm section they need to grow some beards lol :D

Hmmm .... sounds ok. To be honest, it sounds like most recordings of rehearsals I've done by sitting a little digital voice recorder somewhere in the room or something. You did a good job making sure that you can hear all the instruments. I agree though that the video makes it nicer.

The band sounds good, but the "singer" is really annoying to me. Just my .02.

Back