Old track of mine remastered - is it an improvement?

Bubba,
Yours is another top choc from the quality selection box!
Softdance? I've just had it mastered & will pop it up sooner or later. It's been in the clinic in about 5 revisions since 2006. It had REAL drums added in 2008, a proper solo soon after and then a few versions searching for THE guitar tone that suited. Ido1957 redid the guitar solo a couple of months back & , with a different part added in the change, it seemed to work so I sent it to the UK for a proper mastering job.

Bubba,
Yours is another top choc from the quality selection box!
Softdance? I've just had it mastered & will pop it up sooner or later. It's been in the clinic in about 5 revisions since 2006. It had REAL drums added in 2008, a proper solo soon after and then a few versions searching for THE guitar tone that suited. Ido1957 redid the guitar solo a couple of months back & , with a different part added in the change, it seemed to work so I sent it to the UK for a proper mastering job.

Well I really like the guitar tone on the main rhythm guitar. Is that your part?

Not to stir the pot but hopefully to help, and not being a gear snob,. but speaker size favors frequency's from head phones to buds to monitors. Can you do a good mix with a pair of good head phones sure but its a hell of lot easy to work threw a mix with good monitors and head phones to reference. Head phones alone lend to ear fatigue at least for me. I don't think you have to break the bank to get a good pair of monitors. Its all about having as many audible frequency's available to get it where you want.

Bubba po,
bass & rhythm gts are me, Ido1957 the guitar solo and RAMI drums.
I'll post the master this weekend.

The first version seems a little harsh, but louder. And the new one seems more smoothed out, but quieter.

I'm so envious of your two sheds and a blue van!

Also, I'm envious of your talent! Maybe it's just me and because I'm old, but I liked the bottom end on the original recording but the spaciousness/panning on the remastered recording. Actually, on the system I'm listening on, the high end on the remastered version was a little harsh. However, maybe it's my hearing aides causing the problems!:laughings:

No, really, I thought the original version was good especially the bottom end. Good job!

BTW - is the blue van for sale?

Doesn't matter which one you go with - this one's really, really good.

Thanks, dobro. I hear good things about both versions myself!

The first version seems a little harsh, but louder. And the new one seems more smoothed out, but quieter.
Thanks, FoulPhil. I'm a little torn with it, now. I like the warmer, sparklier version, but as you say, there is a tiny overall perceived volume drop - presumably because the high mids (1-2kHz) are reduced a tad and the low end is warmed up.

I'm so envious of your two sheds and a blue van!

Also, I'm envious of your talent! Maybe it's just me and because I'm old, but I liked the bottom end on the original recording but the spaciousness/panning on the remastered recording. Actually, on the system I'm listening on, the high end on the remastered version was a little harsh. However, maybe it's my hearing aides causing the problems!:laughings:

No, really, I thought the original version was good especially the bottom end. Good job!

BTW - is the blue van for sale?

LOL, thanks for that! The weird thing is, I've done nothing to the actual mix itself - I just put the stereo wav through my EQ. The increased detail I gave it in the upper mid/highs must have had the effect of accentuating the wide-panned instruments such as the cymbals and rhythm guitars, thus giving the greater impression of width. I'm old myself and I do love that slightly old-fashioned "new wave" sound character. :D

P.S. Keep your damned eyes off of my van and walk on, stranger! :mad:

Sounds really good to me, the mix is nice on my headphones. I think the remaster was a good idea, nothing really sticking out at all to me. Cool song too.

Back