old school rock and roll

I think it sounds great! I had to click on the SC link as it did not want to play from the forum. This was a first. Loved the vocals as well as the message!!!!

Sounds awesome Jimi! Great guitar tone, great playin', and the vocals had an awesome energy. Very nicely done!

My only nit is a songwriting one: the last verse, which is repeated, seems a bit phone in. You had some clever stuff in the earlier part of the song, and the air got let out of the balloon a bit (IMHO) in the last verse. Not only does "I'm so glad I'm living in the USA" seem a little trite comparatively speaking (to the rest of the song), but then the fact that you repeated "USA" again at the end of the line, instead of rhyming with something else, doubled the trouble to me.

My suggestion (not that you care, but you asked for opinions! :) ) would be to either:
A) Write some new lines for those last verses
B) If you are going to keep those lyrics in the last verses, then do something different with the vocal line to help sell it a bit better. Take it up a bit and really go for it, etc.

Just my .02. I really dig everything else about the song/recording. Great vibe all around.

Sounds awesome Jimi! Great guitar tone, great playin', and the vocals had an awesome energy. Very nicely done!

My only nit is a songwriting one: the last verse, which is repeated, seems a bit phone in. You had some clever stuff in the earlier part of the song, and the air got let out of the balloon a bit (IMHO) in the last verse. Not only does "I'm so glad I'm living in the USA" seem a little trite comparatively speaking (to the rest of the song), but then the fact that you repeated "USA" again at the end of the line, instead of rhyming with something else, doubled the trouble to me.

My suggestion (not that you care, but you asked for opinions! :) ) would be to either:
A) Write some new lines for those last verses
B) If you are going to keep those lyrics in the last verses, then do something different with the vocal line to help sell it a bit better. Take it up a bit and really go for it, etc.

Just my .02. I really dig everything else about the song/recording. Great vibe all around.
I should have said this is a cover of a Chuck Berry song in the OP. An oversight on my part.
Thanks for the listen and review beagle!

---------- Update ----------

I think it sounds great! I had to click on the SC link as it did not want to play from the forum. This was a first. Loved the vocals as well as the message!!!!
Thanks Mack.
I appreciate you giving it a listen and review!

I should have said this is a cover of a Chuck Berry song in the OP. An oversight on my part.
Thanks for the listen and review beagle!

---------- Update ----------

Thanks Mack.
I appreciate you giving it a listen and review!

I was wondering about that! I mean ... obviously it sounded very Chuck, but I kind of thought maybe you were just doing it in tribute. Since I didn't outright recognize it, I figured it was yours.

Chuck, you phoned in that last verse! :) Come on, man! You were a killer writer! I know you could have done better than that. :)

Chuck, you phoned in that last verse! :) Come on, man! You were a killer writer! I know you could have done better than that. :)

That's what they said about Joe when he did the coffee commercials. "Never tasted better". After all, he was married to Marilyn. Just sayin.........

I was wondering about that! I mean ... obviously it sounded very Chuck, but I kind of thought maybe you were just doing it in tribute. Since I didn't outright recognize it, I figured it was yours.

Lol.
He was the "Shake"sphere of rock and rolk.

Sounds pretty good.

The big nits that stick out to me is that some of the instruments on the left seem a little closer than the rest, especially the rhythm guitar and occasionally the ride.

I suppose no point in commenting on the songwriting then. :D

Sound good Jimi. Great playing and singing. I agree with Steve that the guitars on the left sound a bit close, and the mix unbalanced.

The mix sounds good...very "live" feel to it. Left guitar is too loud, as is the ride cymbal, which seems to lean left. The opening guitar playing and some of the chord changes feel a bit overly "loose" for lack of a better word.

My guess is if you lower the left guitar the vocal will be out in front a bit too much because it's already close now.

Overall, nice job, Jimi. Some minor refinement should finish it up.

Where's the b-b-b-bbaaaaassss? I'd like a little more energy in the 50-100hz area. What's your bass EQ look like, if you don't mind me asking? I feel you have some cuts somewhere - maybe there was a resonance down there? Or I could be wrong and you didn't do any EQ'ing and that bass is straight from the amp as it comes. Let me know.

Yup, some Chuck B. coming through on this one. Really nice jam, bet it was fun.

Sounds pretty good.

The big nits that stick out to me is that some of the instruments on the left seem a little closer than the rest, especially the rhythm guitar and occasionally the ride.

I suppose no point in commenting on the songwriting then. :D
Thanks for checking it out Steve. When you say "closer" do you mean narrow panning or do you mean dry as in not enough reverb?

Sound good Jimi. Great playing and singing. I agree with Steve that the guitars on the left sound a bit close, and the mix unbalanced.
Thanks Robus. I'm still working on this mix...hopefully it's getting better.

The mix sounds good...very "live" feel to it. Left guitar is too loud, as is the ride cymbal, which seems to lean left. The opening guitar playing and some of the chord changes feel a bit overly "loose" for lack of a better word.

My guess is if you lower the left guitar the vocal will be out in front a bit too much because it's already close now.

Overall, nice job, Jimi. Some minor refinement should finish it up.
Thanks Nola. I have added some lap steel and I think it is balancing the mix. thanks for your input.

Where's the b-b-b-bbaaaaassss? I'd like a little more energy in the 50-100hz area. What's your bass EQ look like, if you don't mind me asking? I feel you have some cuts somewhere - maybe there was a resonance down there? Or I could be wrong and you didn't do any EQ'ing and that bass is straight from the amp as it comes. Let me know.

Yup, some Chuck B. coming through on this one. Really nice jam, bet it was fun.

I have worked on the bass since posting this and it's better. I didn't really do anything to this except approximate the faders....quick panning....and tweak the vocal a bit.
It's getting better and better and I will post a remix soon.
Thanks for listening and chiming in andrush!

Listened to the remix.

I love the vibe. Great feel. I like the guitar tones, especially the clean-ish guitar on the left. You could probably boost the guitar on the right a db or two. Great singing.

The vocal is noticeably dryer than the rest of the tracks. It sounds way in front of everything.

The cymbals sound pretty good. The snare is a little dull. I'd like more snap to it. The kick sounds pretty good. It's getting dominated just a wee bit by the bass.

I like the bass tone. Actually I like that a lot.

Oooohhh yeah. nice! I like the bass where it's at, but I could see someone saying it's a bit much now. Personally, it grooves well, I think. Slide guitar great touch.

Thanks bro.
I like a lot of bass too. I tweaked some more and backed down a hair on the bass guitar volume level and bumped the kick drum level up.

Listened to the remix.

I love the vibe. Great feel. I like the guitar tones, especially the clean-ish guitar on the left. You could probably boost the guitar on the right a db or two. Great singing.

The vocal is noticeably dryer than the rest of the tracks. It sounds way in front of everything.

The cymbals sound pretty good. The snare is a little dull. I'd like more snap to it. The kick sounds pretty good. It's getting dominated just a wee bit by the bass.

I like the bass tone. Actually I like that a lot.
Yeah I like the bass tone too. I put together a nice partscaster P-bass and loaded it with SD Geezer Butler signature pickups. Man, they really sound good IMHO! I tried to put a little more pop on the snare and put some verb on the vocal...tweaked the Bass guitar and kick drum levels.

2nd remix:
Back In The Usa Re - Re - Mix by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back