Is it ok to post Youtube links here?

cmorris975

Hi there,

I wanted to get some help with mixing the low end in my gear demos that are on Youtube. Can I link them directly or do I need to upload a WAV file to soundcloud?

Thanks,

Chris

85 views and no one said we couldn't, so here's a link. I'm mostly concerned with the low end in this guitar demo, bass and kick drum:

I am pretty new to mixing. I checked this recording against a reference track from the band Deftones ("My Own Summer") and it seemed to be somewhat close on my monitors and headphones. Having a really hard time getting a good bass guitar tone and balancing it with the rest of the mix.

Thanks all,

Chris

If you're looking for help on your mix, no problem posting a youtube clip here. If you are looking for help on music videos, we have a section strictly for that. If you just want to show-off, we have place for that, too... out back... behind the garbage cans. A little place called the Show-Off thread. Lol. :D

Yeah, I don't hear the bass too much. It sounds like another mix-done-by-the-guitar-player to me. (No vocals, either. Hmmm...) I suggest starting your mixing session with just kick and bass, get them working great and thumping. Add in snare, hihats and O/Hs. Get all that working great. Vocals would be a part of that but no vocals on this song.

Add in the rhythm guitars only in a supporting role. At a lower level than the bass and kick. This is where guit players get it wrong when mixing. Most can't take a step back and listen objectively without only hearing themselves. You get credit, you understood that it wasn't sounding like how you hear it in your head.

The way I look at it; Bass, Kick and Melody line (vocals or lead solo) make up the song and the rest of the tracks are there for support. If you add a lead solo in your mix, then it should be at a level slightly louder than everything else. Or maybe same level as bass and kick.

hth

if you're looking for help on your mix, no problem posting a youtube clip here. If you are looking for help on music videos, we have a section strictly for that. If you just want to show-off, we have place for that, too... Out back... Behind the garbage cans. A little place called the show-off thread. Lol. :d

yeah, i don't hear the bass too much. It sounds like another mix-done-by-the-guitar-player to me. (no vocals, either. Hmmm...) i suggest starting your mixing session with just kick and bass, get them working great and thumping. Add in snare, hihats and o/hs. Get all that working great. Vocals would be a part of that but no vocals on this song.

Add in the rhythm guitars only in a supporting role. At a lower level than the bass and kick. This is where guit players get it wrong when mixing. Most can't take a step back and listen objectively without only hearing themselves. You get credit, you understood that it wasn't sounding like how you hear it in your head.

The way i look at it; bass, kick and melody line (vocals or lead solo) make up the song and the rest of the tracks are there for support. If you add a lead solo in your mix, then it should be at a level slightly louder than everything else. Or maybe same level as bass and kick.

Hth

^^^^all this^^^^

If you're looking for help on your mix, no problem posting a youtube clip here. If you are looking for help on music videos, we have a section strictly for that. If you just want to show-off, we have place for that, too... out back... behind the garbage cans. A little place called the Show-Off thread. Lol. :D

Yeah, I don't hear the bass too much. It sounds like another mix-done-by-the-guitar-player to me. (No vocals, either. Hmmm...) I suggest starting your mixing session with just kick and bass, get them working great and thumping. Add in snare, hihats and O/Hs. Get all that working great. Vocals would be a part of that but no vocals on this song.

The way I look at it; Bass, Kick and Melody line (vocals or lead solo) make up the song and the rest of the tracks are there for support. If you add a lead solo in your mix, then it should be at a level slightly louder than everything else. Or maybe same level as bass and kick.

hth

Thanks for your reply. That's an interesting approach, bass and kick first and then building up, I will try that. I am guessing there is something off in the way I EQ the bass as well, on the software amp, in the mix and probably on the bass itself.

Oh, there's no vocals partially because this is primarily a demo of a certain software amp/guitar tone. And also because I can't sing :).

I am guessing there is something off in the way I EQ the bass as well, on the software amp, in the mix and probably on the bass itself.

Yeah, especially if you're plugging DI with the bass. Don't overdo the EQ, let the bass come through. Now that Seafroggies mentioned it, it does sound very scooped.

For the bass, I'll notch out at 50hz to allow the thump of the kick then I'll bump the bass a little at about 900hz for clarity. Sometimes, depending on how much involvement there is with rhythm guitars, I'll cut a wider band around 250hz - 300hz to remove mud and build up, not much though. Then I use heavy compression or a limiter (or both). I get nice comments on my bass tones.

Sounds OK.
The drums do sound a little canned and the bass is missing bottom end and any sort of definition.
I'm not fussed on the rhythm tone at all - just fizzy to me but I don't like the SOUND of modern metal.
I enjoyed the lead - well except for the crazy horses squeal at the end. It's nice to hear notes & not a shred load of blur.
You play well but the vid calls an issue to mind - why software amps when you have an array of good amps in the clip?

Thanks for the feedback RayC. The reason for the software amps is two-fold: 1) They are cheap so a lot of amateurs (like me) use them and so therefore a demo using them is useful to a lot of people. 2) The room I am working in has terrible reflection and resonant frequency problems. Once I move into my new house in 3 months I am going to setup a room properly and do more demos of pedals and any new amps I happen to get.

Sounds OK.
The drums do sound a little canned and the bass is missing bottom end and any sort of definition.
I'm not fussed on the rhythm tone at all - just fizzy to me but I don't like the SOUND of modern metal.
I enjoyed the lead - well except for the crazy horses squeal at the end. It's nice to hear notes & not a shred load of blur.
You play well but the vid calls an issue to mind - why software amps when you have an array of good amps in the clip?

Also, you say the bass is missing bottom end. What is a good way to judge that, I mean, can I look at a frequency analyzer and figure that out? Or do I just need to develop a better ear for these things? I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATM-30 headphones, should I just use that and compare to reference tracks?

Back