Nujabes Type Beat (Critique and Feedback appreciated)

GuesSs

Hey everyone,

I just posted this beat on my youtube channel the other day and I would love some feedback and opinions on it. Be as honest as possible I'm always trying to get better. If there is any music of yours you'd like me to listen to please let me know and I will gladly return the favor I believe thats fair.

It sounds nice like i could hear this in a commercial or a movie scene. As far as criticism i looked at the ticking clock while it played and that flute part takes about 15 seconds to complete than it just repeats over and over till about the 2:30 mark so it got repetitive to me in a hurry. Some more variance in the other parts like if a little jazz band were taking turns soloing would make it more interesting. Still i like the mood and i think it would be great with some kind of video accompaniement.

If there is any music of yours you'd like me to listen to please let me know and I will gladly return the favor I believe thats fair.

There is an entire forum of music to critique. :facepalm:

The vocal sample is a bit harsh. The lead instrument has a few resonances that pop out, check with EQ sweeps. Kick, pads sound good to my ears.

It sounds nice like i could hear this in a commercial or a movie scene. As far as criticism i looked at the ticking clock while it played and that flute part takes about 15 seconds to complete than it just repeats over and over till about the 2:30 mark so it got repetitive to me in a hurry. Some more variance in the other parts like if a little jazz band were taking turns soloing would make it more interesting. Still i like the mood and i think it would be great with some kind of video accompaniement.

Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it. I'm using a sample so there's only but so much I can do for variance since I can't really manipulate the flute itself, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

---------- Update ----------

There is an entire forum of music to critique. :facepalm:

The vocal sample is a bit harsh. The lead instrument has a few resonances that pop out, check with EQ sweeps. Kick, pads sound good to my ears.

I've been a member on this site for maybe a week tops so relax

I've been a member on this site for maybe a week tops so relax

You clicked "new thread", and right under that are pages and pages of posts to critique. It has nothing to do with how long you've been anything. That doesn't seem relevant in the least. If you truly wanted to give feedback to others, you'd simply click the links you surely saw, listen, and give feedback without them asking you a second time. Their posts are already posing the question.

Again, this entire subforum is for ppl seeking mix critiques. It seems a little silly to say "if there's any music of yours". Yes. There is. Hundreds of pages of it.

You clicked "new thread", and right under that are pages and pages of posts to critique. It has nothing to do with how long you've been anything. That doesn't seem relevant in the least. If you truly wanted to give feedback to others, you'd simply click the links you surely saw, listen, and give feedback without them asking you a second time. Their posts are already posing the question.

Again, this entire subforum is for ppl seeking mix critiques. It seems a little silly to say "if there's any music of yours". Yes. There is. Hundreds of pages of it.

It's called returning the favor genius. If someone gives me feedback and they would like to know what I think of their music as well they can just link me to it. Clearly you don't have much else going for you if me saying hey I'll return the favor gets under your skin so much.

It's called returning the favor genius. If someone gives me feedback and they would like to know what I think of their music as well they can just link me to it. Clearly you don't have much else going for you if me saying hey I'll return the favor gets under your skin so much.

Why not post on theirs first? You'll only give feedback to someone if they'll give it to you first? That's not a good way to introduce yourself to a community that relies on participation. This site needs ppl willing to be the first to respond to a post, not more of those like you who post without concern for others music.

Why not post on theirs first? You'll only give feedback to someone if they'll give it to you first? That's not a good way to introduce yourself to a community that relies on participation. This site needs ppl willing to be the first to respond to a post, not more of those like you who post without concern for others music.

Your comprehension skills are clearly not what they should be for someone your age so I will break this down as simply as I possibly can. Try to keep up ok? I have no problem giving feedback to other people first. Making the assumption that I have no concern for other people's music based on this post alone shows how intelligent you are. If someone leaves me amazing feedback I will want to do the same for them. There are times where someone wants feedback on a specific song they made. Maybe the song sounds similar to mine, maybe their song is of the same genre, or maybe they want feedback on their latest. Whatever the case may be it gives them the option to get feedback on the song they want. That is more intuitive than scrolling through hundreds of pages trying to find their most recent upload, and it may not even be a song they want feedback on from me. If anything it opens up the opportunity to establish a connection and friendship because they got a taste of my music and I got a taste of theirs and something can grow from that.

And last but not least, WHO IS IT HURTING? If someone has a specific song they want feedback on it makes it easy for me to get to it. If not cool the feedback is still appreciated. What this site needs are people who don't get sensitive because someone didn't make a post in the format they like. Or someone who has the intelligence to understand that maybe someone doesn't wanna give feedback on a genre they don't make themselves because it won't be that helpful or informative. Get over yourself lol

Your comprehension skills are clearly not what they should be for someone your age so I will break this down as simply as I possibly can.

Being offensive is a quick way to get banned from this site. You know nothing about me, and I can nearly assure you my educational resume is far greater than yours, for whatever that's worth.

Back to the point. Asking if someone wants feedback for a song here is akin to posting on Ebay and asking if anyone has anything to sell. Yes, they do. That's the entire point. Again, it'd be more encouraged to act upon yourself and leave feedback to those already asking for it...that's the point of the forum.

Can you imagine how active this forum would be if every single user said, "I will post for you if you post for me"? That's right, there would be zero comments. Now what were you saying about comprehension?

Being offensive is a quick way to get banned from this site. You know nothing about me, and I can nearly assure you my educational resume is far greater than yours, for whatever that's worth.

Back to the point. Asking if someone wants feedback for a song here is akin to posting on Ebay and asking if anyone has anything to sell. Yes, they do. That's the entire point. Again, it'd be more encouraged to act upon yourself and leave feedback to those already asking for it...that's the point of the forum.

Can you imagine how active this forum would be if every single user said, "I will post for you if you post for me"? That's right, there would be zero comments. Now what were you saying about comprehension?

If you're offended by what I'm saying then you're either overly sensitive or you know it's true. If you don't like what I'm saying and it gets me banned from the site then so be it. In any regard reading must not be your strong suit because I clearly listed reasons as to why someone may want feedback on a specific song. If for example I was an EDM producer and I found someone who also makes EDM who I feel like is better than me I would want feedback from that person. I would still appreciate feedback from a hip hop producer who happened to stumble across it, but feedback from that specific EDM producer would mean the most to me. What better way to get their opinion than to give genuine feedback to them and ask if they would be willing to listen to your latest EDM track in return. Your Ebay example is a false dichotomy (I know you probably don't know what that means so google it). It's literally not the same thing lol. People sell all sorts of things on Ebay. Not everyone sells the same thing. Some people may want to buy cooking supplies and others may want furniture. Yes everyone is selling something on ebay but not everyone is looking for the same thing.

In regards to this site just because it's a feedback forum and everyone is looking for feedback doesn't mean that they wouldn't appreciate feedback from one specific person over others. If I was a rapper, feedback from Eminem would mean a lot more to me than feedback from Bon Jovi. So me posting in the way I did gives people the opportunity to get feedback from me if they feel like it would be of value to them more so than any other ones they may get because perhaps we make similar music. And yes it would actually be very active. Idk if you're familiar with the future producers forum ( they have 487,177 members in total) they have a feedback for feedback system and it's quite active and they do well sooooo.....

If these are the arguments you make with your "educational resume" then clearly our educational system is failing us and in need of immediate change.

If these are the arguments you make with your "educational resume" then clearly our educational system is failing us and in need of immediate change.

Bud, you are talking yourself in circles and coming up with a million excuses. You now have 6 posts and exactly 0 of those have been feedback to others. Let me break down your reasoning, kk?

1. Someone posts in the clinic, looking for mix feedback.
2. They then have to click on YOUR song and leave YOU feedback that you think is positive. (I left you feedback, clearly you didn't appreciate it).
3. They then have to ASK YOU, which the first step already accomplishes, to please leave feedback for them.
4. You may or may not.

?

Before you keep getting your feathers in a bunch, that is exactly the scenario you have presented. That is not how a community driven by user engagement works. You aren't the center of the universe and not everyone has to click on your song to be worthy of review.

Get to commenting on others' tracks if you wish to be a part of the community. I can't explain this to you anymore clearly. If you continue to babble and demand attention, via others having to click on your song first, I can guarantee your presence here is useless.

Bud, you are talking yourself in circles and coming up with a million excuses. You now have 6 posts and exactly 0 of those have been feedback to others. Let me break down your reasoning, kk?

1. Someone posts in the clinic, looking for mix feedback.
2. They then have to click on YOUR song and leave YOU feedback that you think is positive. (I left you feedback, clearly you didn't appreciate it).
3. They then have to ASK YOU, which the first step already accomplishes, to please leave feedback for them.
4. You may or may not.

?

Before you keep getting your feathers in a bunch, that is exactly the scenario you have presented. That is not how a community driven by user engagement works. You aren't the center of the universe and not everyone has to click on your song to be worthy of review.

Get to commenting on others' tracks if you wish to be a part of the community. I can't explain this to you anymore clearly. If you continue to babble and demand attention, via others having to click on your song first, I can guarantee your presence here is useless.

I'm flattered you're paying this much attention to me and keeping track of how much I post. I must really be on your mind a lot lol. I had to type a lot because you clearly aren't capable of comprehending much. I find it hilarious you can't dispute any of my points either haha. I never said hey if you want feedback from me you have to give me feedback first. My post is clearly saying hey if you have a song of your you want feedback on let me know. Yes everyone in this forum wants feedback on their songs but they may want feedback on different songs from different people. It's not that hard to grasp. Once again for some people there is more value in the feedback of someone who also does the same genre as you over someone who doesn't. If they want the specific opinion of a specific person then it makes it easy for them to get it.

If anything that drives use engagement because you experience their music as well. I never said people have to click my song to be worthy of a review that's just how you interpreted it and we have already established that your comprehension skills are not where they should be. It's a shame you're letting me get in your head like this don't be so sensitive sweetheart:)

The vocal is pretty abrasive.

The flute sample is a little boxy sounding.

The low end is dominated by the kick. Not much low end is given to the bass. The bass part itself is pretty sparse.

The snare sounds pretty good.

Cymbals sound a bit indistinct and a bit swirly.

I can hear the cymbals gate or fade or whatever as a loop ends.

The vocal is pretty abrasive.

The flute sample is a little boxy sounding.

The low end is dominated by the kick. Not much low end is given to the bass. The bass part itself is pretty sparse.

The snare sounds pretty good.

Cymbals sound a bit indistinct and a bit swirly.

I can hear the cymbals gate or fade or whatever as a loop ends.

Maybe I EQed too many frequencies and that's why it sounds boxy. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Also I know what you mean about the cymbal. Maybe I'm just not too great at EQing because when I try taking out certain sound I end up taking too much and it's hard to gauge

Cymbal swirliness can be caused by format conversions like MP3. They can be caused by playback systems (SoundCloud for example does it a lot). The swirliness can be caused by a combination of those factors. And there are probably other causes.

I dig the jazzy feel. The flute sounds good, but a little dry. Maybe some reverb that blended it in with the other instruments would help it. Agreed with Trip that the vocal has some harshness to it (the "guess who made it" line). There's a plugin called "Acon DeFilter" that I'd like to try on that vocal line... it would probably find the resonant frequencies pretty quickly and take them out. They may have a demo version for you to try. The piano part is very nice.

Cymbal swirliness can be caused by format conversions like MP3. They can be caused by playback systems (SoundCloud for example does it a lot). The swirliness can be caused by a combination of those factors. And there are probably other causes.

Is there anyway to combat it when it does happen?

I dig the jazzy feel. The flute sounds good, but a little dry. Maybe some reverb that blended it in with the other instruments would help it. Agreed with Trip that the vocal has some harshness to it (the "guess who made it" line). There's a plugin called "Acon DeFilter" that I'd like to try on that vocal line... it would probably find the resonant frequencies pretty quickly and take them out. They may have a demo version for you to try. The piano part is very nice.

That's just a vocal tag i through on the beat I kinda intended for it to not fit with everything else. But I'm glad you liked the jazzy feel and I'll keep that reverb tip in mind going forward

Is there anyway to combat it when it does happen?

If it's on the original track, no. Or at least I don't know of a way.

If it's caused by an MP3 conversion or something similar, convert at a higher bitrate.

If it's caused by SoundCloud, don't use SoundCloud. :)

Back