Novice mixer Needs Your Expertise on How to Improve this Mix

ServantsNSaints

I'm looking for your help so don't hold back. What's clear, what isn't? Bass too thin? Guitar mixed too low? Too high? Vocals too hot in the chorus? I'm trying to get better at this, so hit me honest with not just my problems, but how would you improve the sound.

Attachments

• 01 Wrecked & Ruined.mp3
    6.6 MB · Views: 18
Welcome to HR.com. The way this place works is you listen and give crits to others' stuff, they'll do the same for you. This isn't my type of music, but the bottom doesn't have any oomph to it - bass is nonexistent and the kick sounds like a cardboard box.

First welcome....so this is a great start, but like mjb said above, there is no bottom end on this. It may be intentional, but it could sound better with the bass and the kick being brought up so that they drive the song more. You are not far off on everything else.

I love the energy. I thought the song rocked. Kind of reminded me of the Offspring crossed with Black Flag.

Bass guitar is pretty thin, but OK for the genre.

I didn't care for the guitar tone. Kind of muffled. It needs a little more high end. I think a little more gain would be good too.

I'd little more pop and sizzle from the snare. It's a little dull. I'd like to hear a bit more from the cymbals - they're a little muffled and low in the mix. OK - I kind of take that back. The crash cymbals come through fine. I'm not hearing much from the hats.

Vocals sounded pretty good. A small boost around 5K-6K might sound nice. But make it small. Alternatively, a small cut around 500hz might get some of the cloudiness out.

I really enjoyed this one. I guess the bass guitar could be a little beefier sounding, yeah, but it's not too bad as is and really pops through the mix nicely in some spots. It's hard for me to critique this style as I don't necessarily want it to sound like a traditional sort of mix, you know? I want it to sound kind of trashy which this does, mostly in a good way.

I don't normally care about vocal pitch on mixes but this one could use some tweaking. I'm grooving on the the song then all of a sudden the vocals go wonky in pitch at the end of the verse lines and in the chorus. But other than that the mix is pretty close. I don't have any issue with anything else I think you did a good job.

The kick sounds very bouncy without much low end. Lots of flabby mids.
The snare doesn't have enough punch for this kind of energetic music. It isn't moving me.
Can't hear a bass guitar

The guitars are very dull.

The overall sound was very harsh. I might roll a db or two off of 5-10kHz on the master bus or try and identify what is making the sound behave as such but I think that it's mainly the vocal.

Good playing.

Back