Nothing Looks Good On You - collab w/sammydix

BCF1

This song was originally an attempt at a country tune.
I'm not sure what happened to that idea.
Struggling with lyrics and even more so with vocal performace
I called upon the one and only, Sammydix down in Atlanta, Georgia
Sammy kept my title but wrote his own lyrics
and of course performed all vocals.
I did the mix and just hope it does him and the track justice.
Thank you Sammy !!!!!!!! You the Man !!!!!!!

Nothing Looks Good On You

https://app.box.com/s/8fa5wgrf5zqp99s5m53i4ijbk934jann

All critique encouraged

Thanks

I thought the guitar playing was very good. Singing was pretty good too.

I didn't care for the drum sounds. Sounds like the kit is on the other side of a high school gym. Too distant. The cymbals are occupying a lot of sonic space. Snare is too.

The lead vocal was just slightly buried.

Bass sound was good and level was perfect. IMO.

10 sec after the song started my cat leaped off the desk as I was riding it like a kick drum! I liked it very much, listened to it twice on two sets of cans. Maybe lower the back vocals a tad and reduce the width or pan one 6 to 9% off center, I don't know, like I said, I liked it the way it was. That's my indicator, when I think it needs just a slight change and I can't nail it down, than it must be me and not the song or the Dr was right and 48 cups of coffee, is a little much during the day. :facepalm: Good job!

I didn't care for the drum sounds. Sounds like the kit is on the other side of a high school gym. Too distant. The cymbals are occupying a lot of sonic space. Snare is too.

That's the biggest thing I noticed, except I can barely make out the cymbals at all. It's just all reverby snare.

Mack's critique of the bgvox is pretty on point too.

I might ease back on the lead guitar until the solo a bit. It's demanding too much attention for its place in the arrangement. When it comes to the solo, it could come up.

Bass is pretty solid.

great energy and good guitar picking. The drums have WAY too much reverb on them. It's causing the whole mix to be washed in drum reverb. The guitar may be a little too hot in the 4K Frequency range...although it's kind of hard to tell with all the drum reverb going on.
great song!

The drums have WAY too much reverb on them. It's causing the whole mix to be washed in drum reverb.

Yes, this. I was sitting here trying to figure out what's clogging up the whole thing and giving this "wash" over the mix, and I think Jimi is right. There's this static-y compressed sound smeared under/over everything. It's gotta be the verb. Nice otherwise. Great playing all around.

Yeah dry the drums up and bring them more to the fore. You might find you can bring the level down once you get rid of the reverb and they will still cut through. Good tune. Vocals are great and virtuoso performance on guitar

Pretty boomy on the low end masking other stuff but I liked it, but then I'm not much for mixing. The title is what caught my attention. :) The guitar should come up on the ride so I can enjoy the fine pickin more.

Back