No DAWs Allowed

:eek: You just put those up 8 hours ago?!?

Anyway, that is even more awesome knowing it was live. Reminds me of some of the stuff we did with dark star, but more involved and twisted.

I found my first ever recording. A 1986 live boombox recording. It sounds like complete ass, but kind of funny partly because of it. I can't believe no one is posting up total crap. I think y'all are being a little too selective.

It's back up... it's just a little embarrassing, but I guess that's the fun of it. You owe me a 1986 boombox recording now. Get digitizin'!

Cool - I'll check e'm out. I love me some bitches brew! I think Dark Magus (sp?) is my favorite album of his though.

Here's the absolute oldest recording I have...1986. Recorded live with a boombox on a 60 min. normal bias memorex tape that has a BooBerry sticker and coffee stains on it now. This tape got eaten 10-20 years ago, and I remember removing the crinkled portions with an x-acto knife and splicing it back together with scotch tape (apparently it was quite prized?). It is barely listenable, but someone has to set the bar for crap around here.

This was a "band" I was in called The Bingers "practicing" in an apartment in Portland. We actually played some keg parties and stuff and people seemed to enjoy it...we didn't have a drummer, but allowed anyone who wanted to try to play along with us. This particular fellow was the most spastic, least talented and most fun.

Skip to the end if you get bored...the "finale" is hilarious...it's like we were winding up a big show or something.

Cool - I'll check e'm out. I love me some bitches brew! I think Dark Magus (sp?) is my favorite album of his though.

Big Fun here.

Here's the absolute oldest recording I have...1986. Recorded live with a boombox on a 60 min. normal bias memorex tape that has a BooBerry sticker and coffee stains on it now. This tape got eaten 10-20 years ago, and I remember removing the crinkled portions with an x-acto knife and splicing it back together with scotch tape (apparently it was quite prized?). It is barely listenable, but someone has to set the bar for crap around here.

AWESOME! Hey I saw Easy Rider, been awhile though. But, uh, weren't y'all esposedta go into I Know You Rider or somethin'? I totally recognize your guitar style too, which is cool cuz it, like, echoes across time or something. Stuff like this is *exactly* what I was hoping to hear when I started the thread. Thanks so much for posting it! Did you guys smash your instruments at the end there?

Yeah, I'm disappointed. I thought the point was for the recordings to be embarrassing and awful. Everything so far sounds respectable at the very least.

The dropbox links to Bitches Brew and the other thing don't work fleet...?

Listening to vanquish...right now. It's really creepy. I like it. Was that with a bunch of people or just you multitracking?

HEY IVE GOT AWFUL - you accusing me of tuning up my low fi tracks lol Awful to follow shortly.

Did you guys smash your instruments at the end there?

No, but it kind of sounds like it, doesn't it?

I'm just wrapping up bitches brew now and really enjoyed it. Yeah, it's pretty lo fi, but the balance is pretty good and I can hear everything clearly. There are some bizarre sounds in there and the ending was very cool. Sounds like it was fun to make. You've really been into long, slowly evolving pieces for a long time now, haven't you? I always enjoyed listening to that stuff, but never had much success producing any myself.

Yeah, that sounds more my pace.

Here are my first offerings to the thread...this is some really rough shit....
Tracked to Tascam Porta 03 by me and my roomate in our apartment in 1990. I was 18.

Bitches Brew (Miles Davis cover)
Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd cover)

You may need your beer goggles for this one....or your 5-hits-of-blotter-acid goggles.
Didn't faze me ......... I've had far more hits of acid than that!
:D

Of the two I really liked Interstellar Overdrive ..... it really has the vibe and that guitar sound is really close to what was happening back then .. nice actually

Interstellar Overdrive .....

Oh man...I didn't even listen to that one as I just can't deal with that song.

There was this one night where several of my friends and I dropped acid near the end of this party. Some dude there invited us all to go to his apartment for the rest of the night. I didn't know him. He was some kind of creepy older guy that still liked to hang out and party with high school kids.

Turns out this guy has his place all rigged up for like groups of tripping guests or something...he's got black lights, strobe lights, a disco ball, a stereo in every room. It was weird. He wasn't even dosed or anything, but just enjoyed hosting people I guess? It was annoying...he'd lead you into some dark room and then blast a stereo and fire up a strobe and get all up in your face and ask, "are you tripping your balls off right now?", "are you seeing tracers and shit?". All like wildly enthusiastic and stuff. A total bummer.

Anyway, this guy brings us all into the room with the primo stereo and puts on interstellar overdrive. Instantly the mood darkened. We were all sitting on the floor kind of in circle and one of my friends started gently rocking back and forth and mumbling something to himself over and over. We couldn't hear what it was.

I remember just feeling terrible and wondering why these guys would want to project this awful, twisted sonic message to the world. I just felt this terrible dread.

The tune finally runs its course and everyone looks freaked out. I finally hear what my friend, still rocking, was saying...."happy beatles, happy beatles, happy beatles...". Poor guy.

We insisted that our host put on magical mystery tour, and everything instantly became ok again.

This was a "band" I was in called The Bingers "practicing" in an apartment in Portland. We actually played some keg parties and stuff and people seemed to enjoy it...we didn't have a drummer, but allowed anyone who wanted to try to play along with us. This particular fellow was the most spastic, least talented and most fun.

Skip to the end if you get bored...the "finale" is hilarious...it's like we were winding up a big show or something.
Even though this is really bad quality, I still enjoy the way it sounds. Lo-fi tape just sounds way better than digital lo-fi.

There was this one night where several of my friends and I dropped acid near the end of this party. Some dude there invited us all to go to his apartment for the rest of the night. I didn't know him. He was some kind of creepy older guy that still liked to hang out and party with high school kids.

Turns out this guy has his place all rigged up for like groups of tripping guests or something...he's got black lights, strobe lights, a disco ball, a stereo in every room. It was weird. He wasn't even dosed or anything, but just enjoyed hosting people I guess? It was annoying...he'd lead you into some dark room and then blast a stereo and fire up a strobe and get all up in your face and ask, "are you tripping your balls off right now?", "are you seeing tracers and shit?". All like wildly enthusiastic and stuff. A total bummer.

Anyway, this guy brings us all into the room with the primo stereo and puts on interstellar overdrive. Instantly the mood darkened. We were all sitting on the floor kind of in circle and one of my friends started gently rocking back and forth and mumbling something to himself over and over. We couldn't hear what it was.

I remember just feeling terrible and wondering why these guys would want to project this awful, twisted sonic message to the world. I just felt this terrible dread.

The tune finally runs its course and everyone looks freaked out. I finally hear what my friend, still rocking, was saying...."happy beatles, happy beatles, happy beatles...". Poor guy.

We insisted that our host put on magical mystery tour, and everything instantly became ok again.

Oh man, I love your drug stories. Happy Beatles...Christ. I like the sound of the Bingers a lot, is that you on the geetar? You all seemed well happy with the ending, it was pretty awesome.

Yep, that's Terry Berman singer of Lizard Kings.
He's singing/playing into a (Tandy/Radioshack) Realistic Hiball Dynamic mic.
The cello was recorded with a pair of Sony ECM 19Bs (little mics & with a bit of self noise but some good sounds)
Guitar, bass & Drum Machine were DId.
The pre-amps on that MT100 machine were/are quite good.
I sometimes use the machine as a pre-amp for digital recordings.
As I said, 2nd song recorded on any machine other.
We didn't know what we were doing but that always helps I feel.

Well, no 4 track and mix down here...a live mix direct to an old Ampex two track recorder.

'Twas my first job in audio at a small town TV station in Canada and the special guest at the local summer carnival was a known Canadian singer. This is from the traditional "and can you play us out" bit at the end of the show. As it was pretty much my first music recording (1972) I made a point of recording a copy.

Mic choice was tricky. We had 635As and SM61s so I used those. The "reverb" is the natural sound of the large brick walled reception where the show was done (because the single studio had to be rigged for the local news which came immediately after).

I'll only play a clip because I'm not entirely sure I was allowed to record this...

https://app.box.com/s/03r80dciopcvhfuhwmdc

That's very cool Bobbsy.
Nice to hear a brick wall doing something other than limiting.

OK, Truly embarrassing stuff.
This is Eric Drabwell and I with Mary-Anne Flood back in 1976 playing/singing into the built in autolimited mics of a National Panasonic portable cassette player - now, that was the Ant's pants back then as portable cassette players were usually flat simple mono things. this was a cool machine and recorded/played back instereo - Wow.
Eric's chords are pretty good but my lyrics and bass line were a bit 18 year old living away from home & drinking all his food moneyish.
We hadn't sussed out the 2 cassette players play back overlay trick at this stage.
Eric is playing an Ibanez Hummingbird 12 string, I'm playing a Coronet EB copy short scale bass back when round wounds were still king, through a Coronet 10watt guitar amp & MAF is just singing. Eric had to help as MAF lost the flow - she'd only had 1 run through before we pushed record.
Recorded live in Eric & my dormitory room in Newling House Armidale NSW.

Eric still has the guitar, the bass was stolen, the amp was returned to its owner rather the worse for having had a bass played through it and the Cassette player was thrown away just last year when it finally failed to play tapes or the radio - I was reluctant to toss it though.

You just became my favorite creative nonfiction writer.

Ok, moving on to some (slightly) better sounding stuff. Long noise jam recorded in the RISD film department.
Everything going into their board and mixed down to....you guessed it- the Porta 03.

To Vanquish A Ghost (1991)

Had to listen quick to this one as I didn't want to miss out on another blink and you'll miss it Fleet tune :D

I'd like to think you recorded it in the middle of the night in the empty film department. In my mind there's a misanthropic janitor who reluctantly let you three young punks in to the building after hours. He scratches his head and mutters "it's not what I'd call music" as your long jam reverberates through the corridors...

Ha, love the ending on this, and your acid story. I'm trying to work out which is the bigger factor in people's improvement since these recordings - is it more experience or the increased affordability of/access to better equipment? I'm sure there's a hefty element of both.

OK - I'll play. Spoken word joint recorded on my Tascam 488 circa 1992. Mixed to my computer interface in early 2000s. Exported to 128kbps mp3. Added this to a Vegas project, added some vid from youtube and exported and uploaded to youtube. Pure fidelity all the way lol.

This one's excellent fun, great clip to sample Chuck. I remember hearing the stuff that your son did, that kid's a genius - it was like a young Mark E Smith spitting out the contents of his brain in a stream of consciousness. I liked even more that he declared himself retired shortly after, like he'd achieved what he'd set out to do and and said what needed saying - and was now through with the whole sorry business :D

Back