"No Air Nowhere"...Say that 10 times fast...:D

R

RAMI

In my series of re-recording and/or re--mixing older tunes, here's another one.

This one is about 2 years old, I think. I changed, re-wrote and re-did the vocals and re-mixed it.

Not sure about the levels in general. Any help is always welcome.

Thanx

NO AIR NOWHERE

The whole mix sounds far back. Everything is equally far back so I guess that's just what you wanted.

The snare sounds a tad weak. My bass heavy speakers weren't picking up too much low end either.
The guitar tones sounded good.

Tight as you do.

If you'd let me make an arrangement suggestion. The part after the chorus at 2:05 is really asking for something. It sounds like a saxophone, keys or guitar solo belongs there with an appropriate amount of flamboyance.

Also, in the chorus, what's a "breaded garbo"? Sorry, that's what I keep on hearing! :p

My favorite was always Red Leather Yellow Leather...
The bass has good tone, but no punch. The kick has no batter, just pump. I LIKE the snare. It is pretty in yer face, though.
Vocals are intense as always. Great pitch and harmonies. Nice solo at the end. :D

It feels like the vocals and the top end of the kit are slightly out front...makes it come across as more crispy than it should. Very articulate mix - honestly, I think maybe the bass just needs to be turned up. Nice work.

Can't type much now, in the middle of something.

Just wanted to say that it's "Greta Garbo".

I'll come back later and try to address some of the issues you guys are talking about.

Thanx

I like the tune. But, I really enjoyed Schwarzenyaeger mistaking Greta Garbo for breaded garbo....and the Bubba Po seriously explaining what breaded garbo is. ( I think he was thinking of breaded carp)
LOL
That's a classic funny moment!
I'm just ribbing you guys a bit, don't gang tackle me. :D
Anyway Rami I love the groove of this tune. Especially the little funky groove right before the lead ride. Very cool. As usual I won't try to critique your mix...it's better than what I can do so to me it's great!

OK, I'm back. Busy frickin' night.....

The whole mix sounds far back. Everything is equally far back....
OK. I'm not sure how that's even possible. If everything's too far back, then doesn't that mean that nothing's too far back? Or maybe the whole mix just has too much reverb? Which would be weird because everyone always tells me how dry my mixes are. I'll have to figure it out.
The snare sounds a tad weak. My bass heavy speakers weren't picking up too much low end either.
Really? OK, I'll check that out.
The guitar tones sounded good.

Tight as you do.
Thanx a lot man.

The kick has no batter, just pump.
Thanx. I'll check that out. I hear the snap fine, but I ain't arguing with you, I'll listen again with fresh ears later.
I LIKE the snare. It is pretty in yer face, though.
OK, you like the snare, Schwarz finds it weak. You think it's too in your face, Shwarz thinks everything's too distant.

Where the fuck is Greg? :D
Vocals are intense as always. Great pitch and harmonies. Nice solo at the end. :D
Thanx dude. Much appreciated.

It feels like the vocals and the top end of the kit are slightly out front...makes it come across as more crispy than it should. Very articulate mix - honestly, I think maybe the bass just needs to be turned up. Nice work.
Thanx man. I'll try bringing up the bass. Might be the solution what everyone's hearing.

I like the tune. But, I really enjoyed Schwarzenyaeger mistaking Greta Garbo for breaded garbo....and the Bubba Po seriously explaining what breaded garbo is. ( I think he was thinking of breaded carp)
I spit out my water when I read that. Classic shit. :D

Anyway Rami I love the groove of this tune. Especially the little funky groove right before the lead ride. Very cool. As usual I won't try to critique your mix...it's better than what I can do so to me it's great!
Thanx a lot Jimi. I'll try to address all the mix issues that everyone mentioned, even though some of the comments kind of overlap each other at best, and contradict each other at worst. But I'm not complaining, everyone hears what they hear. Just makes it hard to really know where to go with things sometimes. That's why I joked about "Where's Greg"? He's got the ears.

Thanx guys. I've been listening to this song on and off for about 2 years, so I probably lost perspective as far as what's too loud , what's too low, what's too bright, etc......

On first fresh listen, first thing that jumped out at me was that the vocals were way too loud. Who the hell do I think I am, Placido Pavorotti? :eek:

I'll be re-mixing this, bringing down the vocals and bringing up the bass, among other things.

I also might as well say that this is one of my least favorite songs of mine. I want to finish it since it's pretty much finished, but I'm not crazy about this tune at all. Even though I recorded it only 2 years ago, I think I wrote anywhere from 8-10 years ago. So, I appreciate any mix comments I might get, but I'll totally understand if anyone listens to this and decides not to comment because they just don't think the tune is any good. I often find myself not being able to comment on a tune simply because I hate the song, even though it sounds good.

I really really like the degree to which the drums support the vocal melody. Also, an excellent guitar solo at the end.

I spit out my water when I read that. Classic shit. :D

I will actually listen and comment properly tonight, rather than just lob a silly comment and run. :D It's just that I was tracking last night and realised after I'd tracked the bass that 1) the guitar needed more work before it was fit to record and 2) I'd consistently played the wrong note on the bass in a few places, so it all needed doing again! :(

LOL
That's a classic funny moment!

Do you think I got away with it? I got a "thanks". :D

I remember this one.
I remember it becasue it's really good.
the reworking works well.
Initially I thought the vox weren't loud enough but that lasted a nano second.

I don't think the mix is too far back, it's just a bit quieter than your usually mixes. The only thing that stood out to me was the bass. Needs a bit more Oomph to it. The tone it great but it needs something. Maybe a touch of a boost of the low. It's as if it is almost fighting the guitars for a bit of space.

Other than that, I thought it sounded great. Guitars sound very nice. I remember the old version of the song. A few tweaks on this one and it'll sound mint.

:thumbs up:

EDIT* breaded garbo :laughings:

I will actually listen and comment properly tonight, rather than just lob a silly comment and run. :D(
Hehe...Don't worry about it, man. I'm really starting to hate this song. Mix comments will be useful mainly for the next song I mix, but I don't foresee a guaranteed Grammy nomination at the 2016 awards. :D

I remember this one.
I remember it becasue it's really good.
the reworking works well.
Initially I thought the vox weren't loud enough but that lasted a nano second.
Thanx Ray. Did you notice anything about the bass, for good or for bad?

I don't think the mix is too far back, it's just a bit quieter than your usually mixes. The only thing that stood out to me was the bass. Needs a bit more Oomph to it. The tone it great but it needs something. Maybe a touch of a boost of the low. It's as if it is almost fighting the guitars for a bit of space.

Other than that, I thought it sounded great. Guitars sound very nice. I remember the old version of the song. A few tweaks on this one and it'll sound mint.

:thumbs up:

EDIT* breaded garbo :laughings:
Thanx a lot, buddy. I'll try a few things with the bass.

I initially thought the guitars were too thin but as the song went on I realized they are almost perfect. I really like your voice...can't put my finger on who it sounds like but must be nice to be able to hold a tune lol

I think the mix sounds really damn good. I can see how people are commenting on the bass. I can hear it fine and mixes well, if anything is needed it just needs to be a little clearer. Great Job RAMI

I initially thought the guitars were too thin but as the song went on I realized they are almost perfect. I really like your voice...can't put my finger on who it sounds like but must be nice to be able to hold a tune lol

I think the mix sounds really damn good. I can see how people are commenting on the bass. I can hear it fine and mixes well, if anything is needed it just needs to be a little clearer. Great Job RAMI
Thanx a lot Bruthish. Actually, I remember now that this is the first tune I did when I had bought my Fender Super Champ. I wan't familiar with the settings and remember that I also found the sound of gits a little thin at the time. I got used to it, but I'd never use those sounds if I was recording the song now.

Thanx a lot for the comments.

Back