Ninety Nine Bottles (of beer) - More hillbilly stuff :p

FoulPhil

This is my first country song. I wrote it last year or the year before and just finally got around to trying it. Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to singing this kind of stuff. So, I did my best outlaw country bad ass voice. Which I learned by singing along to David Allen Coe albums when I'm drinking beers and getting drunk. No shit! Still don't sound anything like DAC... I'm not really sure it's my thing or if I'll do anymore country songs like this, but I think it sounds cool. How about you guys? :D

EDIT: updated it and just made the vocals a bit louder and chose some different vocals that sounded better to me on some parts.

Last edited:
This is great! That sounds really authentic. Seriously great recording in my opinion. LOVE your voice for this kind of stuff, didn't know you had it in you. Awesome.

This is great! That sounds really authentic. Seriously great recording in my opinion. LOVE your voice for this kind of stuff, didn't know you had it in you. Awesome.

Hey thanks. That means a lot to me. I had been working on it all day and wasn't sure if it sounded good or not. I had a great time though it just came together easily instead of being the usual pain in the ass. :D

Very country! During the verses there's 2 places each verse where there's a little break/crash happening, and I think the crash is just a little too loud in those places. Vocal could come up just a bit n volume throughout. At almost 5 minutes you've disqualified yourself from the country genre - them folks just don't have that long an attention span! :drunk:

Very country! During the verses there's 2 places each verse where there's a little break/crash happening, and I think the crash is just a little too loud in those places. Vocal could come up just a bit n volume throughout. At almost 5 minutes you've disqualified yourself from the country genre - them folks just don't have that long an attention span! :drunk:

I don't know why, but for some reason my songs end up being over 5 minutes. I have a few other older songs that are long like that. I think it's because I like adding a lot of instrumental breaks in the song, like they use to do back in the day. I'll probably work on shorting any new songs I write. It'll be easier not having to come up with as many lyrics as well :p

Ok, well I just have to say that I love the way you sing the word "beer" which is good, because it comes up a lot in this tune. :)

Your voice is so full and deep on this that the drums and guitars almost sound a little thin by comparison to me. I enjoyed this one though. I could hear everything clearly and I liked the lyrics and your singing.

The melody was interesting and not your typical country pattern which is cool. I could have used a more chorusy chosus though, you know? Like, something that differed a little more from the verses and was a little more catchy maybe? Not for all songs, but for this genre I mean. As it is, it almost felt like one super long verse, although I caught the repeating 99 bottles part.

Again, I thought it was good and enjoyed the listen...sorry, just realized this was more composition than mix ideas...whatever! :) ...just some thoughts.

All good . . . I loved the vocal drawl and the crisp guitars.

But the drum fills were too midi and too distracting. You could drop them and just keep a straight rhythm going all the way through

I think you found your calling. I have only stuff from you that was the death metal style genre....this is totally different and very good. Awesome man

All good . . . I loved the vocal drawl and the crisp guitars.

But the drum fills were too midi and too distracting. You could drop them and just keep a straight rhythm going all the way through

I will take that into consideration when I get to a final mix point. Which I'm not sure when that will be lol.

I think you found your calling. I have only stuff from you that was the death metal style genre....this is totally different and very good. Awesome man

Thanks a lot man. I'm not really sure this is where I want to be musically. I want to ease up on the draw quite a bit and mix things up. I certainly don't want to be known as a country musician lol. It's just more of a practice and experimentation type thing for me :D

Back