Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Newer, simplistic, approach to mixing.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Northern Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    5,087
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 395 Times in 383 Posts
    Rep Power
    19206110
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This is a really cool sound. The guitars and distorted bass really give this a nice groove. All the guitars sound first rate.

    The vocal is a little tough to hear.

    I didn't think the cymbal sound was all that bad. A bit of SC swirliness, but not horrible.

    It's squashed to death.

    The snare is kind of far back. Lightening up the limiting might help with that. THings are almost pumping.

    The bass is a little on the sterile side.

    Mostly just pointing out nits. I really liked it.

    Edit... I didn't care for all the delay.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,687
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    6359736
    Another good tune Kev. Are you triggering samples? My only nits are the hihat chips are a little prominent (& I like chips) and maybe a toch too much verb on the vocal. Nice job

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Nice. You rarely hear songs today that are produced and mixed like this. Thank you for showing us this song!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    5727917
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    This is a really cool sound. The guitars and distorted bass really give this a nice groove. All the guitars sound first rate.

    The vocal is a little tough to hear.

    I didn't think the cymbal sound was all that bad. A bit of SC swirliness, but not horrible.

    It's squashed to death.

    The snare is kind of far back. Lightening up the limiting might help with that. THings are almost pumping.

    The bass is a little on the sterile side.

    Mostly just pointing out nits. I really liked it.

    Edit... I didn't care for all the delay.
    As usual, Trip ... you hit the nail square on the head. It WAS squashed. I just severely lightened up on both the drums and the two buss. I also eq'd the guitar a little differently and brought it up. Vocal came down just a hair. New mix is on the link.

    Thanks bud!
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    5727917
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
    Another good tune Kev. Are you triggering samples? My only nits are the hihat chips are a little prominent (& I like chips) and maybe a toch too much verb on the vocal. Nice job
    Great catch Kier! Yes. Kick, Snare, and Toms needed to be BIG on this tune ... so I blended samples in and under to fatten up the sound. I brought the vocal effect down a little in the new mix also. I agreed with you.

    Thanks for jumping in K!

    ---------- Update ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Battlegun View Post
    Nice. You rarely hear songs today that are produced and mixed like this. Thank you for showing us this song!
    Most welcome BG. Less is more, I think.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6,291
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 397 Times in 368 Posts
    Rep Power
    12501256
    I listened on cans, I thought is had a very good solid sound. I guess since this is a later mix, I didn't hear the issues commented on.

    On my system/headphones everything sounded balanced. Really good mix.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    5727917
    Quote Originally Posted by DM60 View Post
    I listened on cans, I thought is had a very good solid sound. I guess since this is a later mix, I didn't hear the issues commented on.

    On my system/headphones everything sounded balanced. Really good mix.
    Thanks Dave! I took the advice given and believe I've got it pretty well sorted in this mix.
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    64278
    like it!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,004
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    5727917
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    like it!
    Thank you, Sparky!
    My Albums are free at:
    KevinWhiteMusic.com

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Floyd's Knobs, IN
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 184 Times in 179 Posts
    Rep Power
    3205869
    I am going to go against the grain here according to what everyone else has said. I don't mean it to be disrespectful, but everything sounds good except the guitar. To me, the tone(not the playing) just doesn't sound that good. It just sounds like it has way too much mid and high ranges and/or a not very good distortion patch. I know I am in the minority so I am just leaving you with my thoughts on it and its only my opinion. The song IS awesome, great playing all around and well constructed, I just think the guitar tone is holding it back.
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 18:10
  2. mixing--how do YOU approach it?
    By threshhold2 in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 10:19
  3. New Simplistic Beat
    By Re-Lapse in forum DJ & Hip Hop Production
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 16:19
  4. Mixing approach
    By TamaSabian in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 16:27
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 22:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •