NEWB finally getting something done

boss281

I successfully imported two different backing tracks:

learned how to fade out on one, Bm blues used mic'ing my Fender Pro Junior III tube amp with Wampler Clarksdale Overdrive and TC Hall of Fame reverb through a Fender

B major blues using GTR3 amp and pedal simulated effects.

Conclusion: using the amp and my own pedals is easier to control, and not have to work with glitchy simulated guitar effects (it took me 3 days to get it to work right). I also tried Guitar Rig 5 but am not impressed.

Going to buy a real hardware multieffects pedal, perhaps a BOSS ME-80, tomorrow.

Forgive the horrible website, I need a place where Facebook would require an app to listen to the music (SoundCloud appears to be forcing that right now).

John

Music | The Blues Rockets

I liked Bm version better than B major. The guitar is better placed in the sound stage and has better tone in my opinion. The Bm version did have a strange hi-hat that was too far left when hit open...............and near the center when hit closed. What's up with that? The B maj version guitar is a bit too forward (in your face) and doesn't fit in the mix as good as it could. To be sure........what I'm listing here is your basic nit picking. The drums sound processed as does the bass.............but I don't think you're asking about those. Nice playing on both tracks. By the way.........I use a Boss ME-80 with a Les Paul and a Strat. It's an awesome pedal board with unlimited combinations and tones. Have fun with it.

Likewise, I don't use any ITB effects on guitar. Guitars are always miked and FX are always tracked. Nothing against amp sims and ITB effects, but for me it's more fun this way and gives me the results I want.

Well, I'm in agreement--both were unrehearsed, and I think I was just chasing chord tones in B Major without thinking about the story. The Bm version was mic'd and I found my tone easily, and then took my time playing because it "felt" right. I'm just glad patience with Reaper paid off, and I'll buy it tonight and forget the amp/fx sims for now, and just stick with all my amps and pedals. It's what I know.

The music store was wrong and didn't have the ME-80 in, it was the -10, so they ordered it for me no obligation to buy, and I can noodle on it a few hours with my own guitars...

Thanks for the feedback, now that I have an approach to the sound, I can build the 10 real demo tracks and keep learning the nuances of the recording software.

EDIT, by the way Mickster, love the Reverbnation page, looks professional. I'll have to let my better half work on my BandCamp site. Any thoughts on one or the other???

Boss281..........Reverbnation is fairly easy to manage and does a decent job of presenting your music. The mp3 quality is not the best but is good enough for most purposes. I had to laugh when I saw your page................NOT because it was funny.............but because my driveway also has a Mustang and a Camaro in it. Mustang is mine and the Camaro is my wife's. As for the ME-80........you'll really like it but it will take some time to explore all of it's possibilities. Don't completely overlook the Reaper amp sims and effects........you'll need them from time to time.

Boss281..........Reverbnation is fairly easy to manage and does a decent job of presenting your music. The mp3 quality is not the best but is good enough for most purposes. I had to laugh when I saw your page................NOT because it was funny.............but because my driveway also has a Mustang and a Camaro in it. Mustang is mine and the Camaro is my wife's. As for the ME-80........you'll really like it but it will take some time to explore all of it's possibilities. Don't completely overlook the Reaper amp sims and effects........you'll need them from time to time.

<chuckle>, yeah, the Mustang is mine and the Camaro hers. We're happy. I just needed some photos quick or I couldn't post anything. Anyhow, the ME-80 is on order, and they will let me try before I buy...

Back