guitar rig for the 'angel' session....

amp/cab setup
angel_session.jpg

rhythm guitar tracks
carvin_artist.jpg

solo guitars:
strat_pdls.jpg

it's nice to hear something new!

love the dirty bass tones, sounds thick and huge, your mixing is getting better and better I think, it's easy to hear everything, the only crit maybe is I would have a bit more reverb on the vocals, or even some slapback, not complaining it's more a taste thing, balance wise it's perfect, and of course great song and guitar playing as usual.

Just something to consider. Around 1:03, seems like the chorus and the DT vocals are making things sound a little crowded with the panning. Everything else seemed to sit very well, just the vocals being panned seemed to clash with the rest of the mix.

Good tune, good performance, your stuff comes out consistently great.

Just something to consider. Around 1:03, seems like the chorus and the DT vocals are making things sound a little crowded with the panning. Everything else seemed to sit very well, just the vocals being panned seemed to clash with the rest of the mix.

Good tune, good performance, your stuff comes out consistently great.

hey, thanks for commenting and critiquing dm60...

1:03, i gotta go back and hear that and see what you are on about.....

oh, the 'chorus' section, with the 'angel' callouts..

yea, you know, i had them panned hard left and right, with the rock rhythm parts, so they would be more like 'call and response'...?
if you know what i mean...
with the 'answer' panned up straight and center..

but it just did not get the effect i wanted.

i guess i want it crowded....
uncomfortable....
harder and harder to ignore, under the skin, etc....

cuz that's what the lyric is all about.

just a subjective thing, but looking at it strictly as a 'mixer', i totally get what you suggest.

Vocal seems too dry(particularly in first verse).Pretty kick ass, otherwise.

yes, it is bone dry.
LOL.....
for some reason, that's the way i hear it.

i've got so many cool verb vst's and delays and what not....
but on all the other tunes, it's more ambient and wet
kinda wanted this one to be different.

thanks for listening man, i appreciate it

it's nice to hear something new!

love the dirty bass tones, sounds thick and huge, your mixing is getting better and better I think, it's easy to hear everything, the only crit maybe is I would have a bit more reverb on the vocals, or even some slapback, not complaining it's more a taste thing, balance wise it's perfect, and of course great song and guitar playing as usual.

hey btyre, missed your post, sorry....

i like the bass tones too, but i'm still not getting exactly what i want.

i think it's the active electronics in the carvin, which i love to play, and there is literally a MYRIAD of possible tones,
but i think i may prefer passive electronics in the bass, and may switch the pickups out soon.

the vocals were recorded, and mixed, bone dry.

i like the stark effect against the big room sound of the drums.

i tried it with fx on the vox, and to me, it sounded too............... expected. normal. typical.
so that's why i went dry.

thanks a lot for listening and commenting....
i'll dwell on the vox fx issue some more......before finalizing.

Without reading the other comments...

Mix sounds great to me...cool effects at the end too. Bass sounds "pulse-y", i like it. Vox a bit too dry maybe? Some drums are a little quiet, though it's kind of scattered so hard to pinpoint exact spots and pieces. I like what you are doing with the lead G's around 1:15, the dueling/panning is very cool. You have a lot going on, but they all work well together, in regards to G effects.

yeah, dry main vox is my biggest/only real criticism. nice work. Do you play everything yourself?

Without reading the other comments...

Mix sounds great to me...cool effects at the end too. Bass sounds "pulse-y", i like it. Vox a bit too dry maybe? Some drums are a little quiet, though it's kind of scattered so hard to pinpoint exact spots and pieces. I like what you are doing with the lead G's around 1:15, the dueling/panning is very cool. You have a lot going on, but they all work well together, in regards to G effects.

yeah, dry main vox is my biggest/only real criticism. nice work. Do you play everything yourself?

thanks for listening man....
appreciate it.

i've remixed this now,
brought the drums more forward,
and have worked on panning and a bit on the crunch factor of the electric rhythm guitars.

and YES, i play/sing everything,
and programmed the drums using loops in Sony Acid.

sorry, i already took it down, figured it had been up long enough,
and i already remixed it with some good comments in mind....

Back