New tracks laid down w/ new band

K-dub

It took me forever to figure out how to get multiple sound cards to play together nice ... but this is the kind of sound I'm getting live out of the set up.

Best,

Kev-

Last edited:
What's that in the background? Bleed or part of the FX on the bass? I'm nfussed on the duckwah on bass but it probably sounds good in the mix.
Nice capture.

What's that in the background? Bleed or part of the FX on the bass? I'm nfussed on the duckwah on bass but it probably sounds good in the mix.
Nice capture.

It is headphone bleed that I didn't take out during the quiet break. I was playing piano on a track so both could follow the song ... but it was just a reference track ... there's no piano in the piece. :D

I added the "phase wah" after the performance. The bass went DI.

The drummer wants to swap out the hi hat and snare on the kit too ... he likes a more woody snare sound, and richer hi hat. I wasn't happy w/ the kick myself ... as there's a ring tone to it and it's not as tight as I like to hear. I'm going to use a different mic on it. I've got a cheap CAD drum mic on it.

Nice tones Kev. I agree with your drummer the snare is a bit flat sounding and the hats have a lo-fi quality. Can't argue with the organic nature of the recording though. I like it. Why you using multiple sound cards - just for more inputs?

Nice tones Kev. I agree with your drummer the snare is a bit flat sounding and the hats have a lo-fi quality. Can't argue with the organic nature of the recording though. I like it. Why you using multiple sound cards - just for more inputs?

Hey K!

Yes. Between the 2 cards I've got 16 inputs to record at once with. The drums alone take up 8.

1) Kick
2) Snare
3) HH
4) L rack tom
5) R rack tom
6) Floor tom
7) L OH
8) R OH

That's all on one Focusrite Scarlett

My Echo Layla has 8x 1/4" plugs, so I've got the bass, stereo guitar, and acoustic guitar all going in through it. This is a live unit, and so I'm not recording the acoustic via mike ... as that's not what it is going to sound like live ... where he DI's it.

The various 5 keyboards are being recorded via midi and soft synths.

The bitch of the matter was getting the Echo to port via ADAT lightpipe into the FR to its ADAT inputs; which only worked in ASIO driver mode. Sonar kept grabbing the Layla's ASIO and grayed out the FR's drivers. I had to ultimately disable the Echo's drivers in Windows, start Sonar, and then choose the only available drivers. Then I enabled the drivers again, but Sonar FINALLY only had the FR's drivers checked, and I left the Echo's unchecked.

... and that finally gave me the 16 channels (8 analog/8 Adat) via the Focusrite.

We're meeting again Saturday to record w/ the swapped out gear.

Swapped out the snare, hi hats, and cymbals ... then recorded the new version on the link above. We started experimenting w/ guitar parts too.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Might be just me, but that synthesizer seems a bit out of sync on the first part. I like it, but the delay doesn't seem to fit. Second time sounded fine. Then the third louder synth sounded out on the delay. I guess I always try to get the delay to hit a certain way.

Bass sounds really good and the drums nice and clear. Good overall recording to me.

Might be just me, but that synthesizer seems a bit out of sync on the first part. I like it, but the delay doesn't seem to fit. Second time sounded fine. Then the third louder synth sounded out on the delay. I guess I always try to get the delay to hit a certain way.

Bass sounds really good and the drums nice and clear. Good overall recording to me.

Do you mean the synths in the last verse, bud or the opening one?

One in the first, then when it comes back in again. I couldn't see the time markers.

Time markers? I wish. :D

Our drummer hates playing to a click track, and though he's good, he still drifts off time ever so slightly. He gets about 1/4 beat ahead early and then drifts back and forth.

It's makes it very hard to accordingly time the delay ... or apply quantization or fix anything relative to tempo. lol ...

I do hear the "ever so slight" timing error in the opening keys ... I'll nudge it closer. Thanks bud!

The guitar ... btw ... is a demo track just experimenting w/ ideas. The guitarist is refining his part via home practice, and we'll be laying down his finished tracks later.

We are taking a "live" approach to this ... meaning what we play on the recording has to be reproduced in exactly the same way live. No multiple layers of overdubbing things in the studio that we would be incapable of playing later ... for instance, laying down a rhythm electric under the lead guitar when we only have one electric guitar player (we have an acoustic guitar player ... but he doesn't own/play and electric).

This is WYSIWYG recording.

Not much to say other this sounds cool as fuck - sounds really "live".

The vocal is possibly a tiny bit loud and there's something in there that's a little harsh on the ear - I can't tell you what it is though, maybe someone else will spot it and give you more specifics - or maybe I just have it on too loud!

Not much to say other this sounds cool as fuck - sounds really "live".

The vocal is possibly a tiny bit loud and there's something in there that's a little harsh on the ear - I can't tell you what it is though, maybe someone else will spot it and give you more specifics - or maybe I just have it on too loud!

Thanks for the comment! "Live" is what I'm going for ... as this is intended to be a representation of the band. The harsh you're hearing is real. It's the nasal tone of one of the singers -- who is doing the high part right in sensitive ear range. I'm working on isolating exactly where to cut ... but that will come later.

I've still got to add electric guitar and another keyboard part ... so no monkeying w/ it too much until I've got the other parts to reference.

Now w/ more ... like guitar and ... stuff ...

---------- Update ----------

Still a couple more parts to track until done ... but going for a live sound.

Finished up some extra vocal and synth parts ... tightened the mix. All that's left is a couple guitar parts (the middle lead is still blank) ... and one last keyboard. Folks will get and idea of how my new unit sounds as of this point, though.

New mix on all the links.

Back