"New Thing"--new (as yet) instrumental

moogyboy

hello again, folks

I must apologize for being away for so long, I've had a particularly rough winter dealing with some personal issues. After a long dry spell and a rearrangement of my first floor, I've managed to finally do some new recording. I cobbled this track together in one afternoon a couple of days. I present two mixes for you. rough2 is the cleaner, stereo version while rough11 is the more heavily limited mono mix (the proverbial "hot 45 rpm single mix" :-) ) that I did first. I like the way they're sounding so far but I wanted to get outside opinions.

Details: M-Audio Fast Track USB into an iMac running Reaper. Everything miked with an MCA SP-1 condenser mic (plus an Audio Technica dynamic mic on the kick drum), bass recorded DI. Instruments used: Lotus strat copy (rhythm guitar), Epiphone Les Paul (lead guitar), pieces-parts Precision (bass), Hammond L-102 (organ), Premier XPK 4-piece/Sabian B8 ride/Paiste PST5 hihat (drums). Lead guitar chain: Les Paul>Cry Baby>Big Muff Pi>Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube amp.

Thanks for listening and your opinions/advice are greatly appreciated.

cheers

Billy S.

Attachments

• new thing rough2.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • new thing rough11.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 4
I like the mood of the tune.

I only listened to the first one you provided so you may have already raised up the rhythm guitar. It has a ton of verb on it, perhaps back off on that a little?

I get accused of over reverbing, if that helps:D

..I meant to add that I like the bass guitar sound.

Nothing fancy there, just a straight P-bass with flatwound strings, tone control all the way down, plugged straight in with no effects. I don't know why I was never able to get my bass to sound this good in the past.

First things that jumped out at me were the cymbals and hats. Kinda washy, splashy sounds. I do MIDI drums, so I'm not sure how to advise in the recording process there, but I'm sure someone can chime in on it. To me, it sounds like a capturing issue, not an EQ thing, yet. Kick and snare sound good, just those cymbals. Lots of timing issues on the drums.

Cool man, nice 60's vibe. That lead with the wah sounds nice, but it could use a little roll-off around 3-6k maybe, not sure exactly where.

Nice keys sounds, too. Bass is probably the best sounding element. Drums could use some work, yes, But recording live drums is difficult. Kudos.

Cool fade at the end, reminded me of Phish kind of.

Back