New sound for an old wanker

WhiteStrat

Don't stare at the eye.
Yep, I'm a wanker--at least when it comes to playing guitar. I favor the 80's hair bands and the Vai's and Satriani's of today in terms of guitar style. One of the of signature attributes of my recorded guitar is that it's wet--lot's of reverb and delay. Lately I've been listening to some of my "heroes" and I've noticed that they use a lot less reverb and delay than I do. So I've been playing completely dry lately. It's still high gain, saturated tone, but there's no reverb or delay. I've found that I have to rely on my hands more for the tone--and that's a good thing.

Here's a jam I recorded this afternoon. Both rhythm tracks are dry, and the lead is dry--no reverb or delay on any of them. I'm trying to get used to the sound and would love your input. Is it too dry? Is it shrill? Whatever you think, let me know. Thanks for your time.

I don't think it necessarily needs much reverb.... I'd put just a touch on, however... it's not my style of playing, but the right hand guitar at the start sounds a bit mosquitoey for my liking.

It's hard to really say because it's a very light backing... It might work a bit better and sit in better with a fuller backing track..

My $0.03 (adjusted for inflation).. :eek:

really musical for what I think of shredder style guitar! Love it. As more of a slow hand style guitarist, I wish I could do it!!!! I'm not bothered by the lack of 'verb at all. My only teeny piece of feedback is that it ended kind of abruptly... or maybe just too soon. Nice work!

really musical for what I think of shredder style guitar! Love it. As more of a slow hand style guitarist, I wish I could do it!!!! I'm not bothered by the lack of 'verb at all. My only teeny piece of feedback is that it ended kind of abruptly... or maybe just too soon. Nice work!

Thanks for the kind words. As far as the "ending" goes--you're right. It wasn't really a song or an arrangement, but rather a little jam to test the "dry" sound. Thanks again.

I don't like using reverb on anything unless it's on a buss and you can't hear it in the mix only when soloed. But a slight delay is good especially for lead guitars and vocals. Again, barley any to where you don't really hear it in the mix. Only when soloed. That's a good way to make sure you're not over doing it. :D

To each his own on your usual wet sound, although not my preference, time and place I can see it's worth genre wise.

I like this dry sound. It has a Brian May-ish quality at times....though musically quite different, circa Queen 2 - Sheer Heart Attack album(s).

all my playing was dry as a popcorn fart from 1984 until a few years ago - still my preference. I like this sound - more compressed (not that you seem to be using a compressor) than I'm going for recently, but sounds nice and fat and matches your madskilled playing well. What amp are you playing through?

To each his own on your usual wet sound, although not my preference, time and place I can see it's worth genre wise.

I like this dry sound. It has a Brian May-ish quality at times....though musically quite different, circa Queen 2 - Sheer Heart Attack album(s).

I heard a bit of Brian May as well--I just didn't want to be presumptuous and point that out. I did a road trip this last weekend and listened to Queen for about 3 hours while on the road, so I think I might have been influenced a bit...

Is it too dry? No. Nothing is ever too dry in my book. :)

Seriously, a small amount of small-room reverb would probably be nice. Just keep it minimal.

Real good playing. Real good guitar sounds.

Some very nice guitar wankery. Not my particular cup of meat but sounds good all the same. I don't think it sounds too dry. Good tones carry themselves. :thumbs up:

I like the chords in the rhythm section heard clearly from 30 secs to 40 and 1:40 to 1:50. Can I ask what the lower chords are?

Nice playin, good technique on both hands. My suggestion would be what we were discussing on Gregs Cheap Trick thread about recording loud amps. My only complaint with your tone is that it has a lot of pre-amp or pedal type gain. That early Eddie Van Halen tone (I love) he got by really pushing the power tubes. You haven't stated what you used to get the guitar sound. Are they sims or amps mic'ed ? Do you have the space to mic a blasting 4x12 cab?

I'm curious as to what you think?

Nice playin, good technique on both hands. My suggestion would be what we were discussing on Gregs Cheap Trick thread about recording loud amps. My only complaint with your tone is that it has a lot of pre-amp or pedal type gain. That early Eddie Van Halen tone (I love) he got by really pushing the power tubes. You haven't stated what you used to get the guitar sound. Are they sims or amps mic'ed ? Do you have the space to mic a blasting 4x12 cab?

I'm curious as to what you think?

I think you're spot on. The rhythm guits are through a sim, but the lead is a mic'd amp. An you're absolutely right--the gain in that lead is almost all preamp and no power amp.

I do have the space the crank it up and let it fly. I'll try do so in the coming week and repost. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
I think you're spot on. The rhythm guts are through a sim, but the lead is a mic'd amp. An you're absolutely right--the gain in that lead is almost all preamp and no power amp.

I do have the space the crank it up and let it fly. I'll try do so in the coming week and repost. Thanks for the input.

Cool, you have that nice clean fingering technique, and it really shines through that fat power tube tone. You still get the sustain and compression without the fizz. Love to hear it

Back