New Song, trying to iron out kinks. (not much technical skill)

RNBWBTTLKD

SO I kinda want a The Smiths I Know It's Over vibe with this. I don't really have much time to retrack things so this is mostly it.

- I feel liek the final mixdown is much quieter than my other stuff i've put out, even after my unskilled "mastering".

Would lowering the boominess of the bass give me more headroom to push the volume up without clipping? I've also seen stuff about limiters, that may help?

A couple other problems are:

- Intro/chorus could sound a little bigger relative to the rest of the song, but not TOO much. I have a couple of the guitar tracks come up there a little.

- Harmonies, I like the parts but it's hard to get them to sit right. I have the low part on the left and high on the right, and wonder if both whould be on both sides, kinda more even? just want kind of an oldies Shangri-Las vibe with them i think. i LOVE the harmonies on the chorus of Nick Cave's I Need You but I feel liek this much busier song can't really afford to have them so prominent.

Anyone got any tips that aren't just scrapping and redoing the whole thing? lol.

I like this. I think your volume is just right, if anything you could just turn up the whole file a db or couple of db, as long as your not peaking at 0 now. Smooth sound with those verby drums, reminds me of the 80's- being able to verb drum machines was game changing. Though i think this sounds contemporary. The only thing that i can think as a critique is more arrangement based, the change part "oh with/for you"? (sorry cant quite pick out the exact lyric)...i expected something to happen there-i'm sure Johnny Marr would have added something..The backup vocals are barely audible to me-i like subtle but i think they could come up. That's all i got, enjoyed multiple listens.

The mix is good, but the vocal is sitting in a weird spot. Sounds like the singer is in the middle of all the band instead of out in front. I think it needs more volume and/or less reverb on it.

I like the sound of the drums. The kick is a hair loud. I hear it booming more than the bass. Bass sounds good. Kick has a boomy attack. It sounds good but it's definitely leading the low end more than the bass.

Dig the song. Smiths were a fantastic band, and this does remind me a lot of them.

I like that it's not excruciatingly loud, too. Thanks for saving my ears.

Thanks for the tips, i'll try taking the bass out of the kick. any idea what frequency range?

And yeah I want the chorus harmonies more prominent, so i'm not sure if it shoudl jsut be volume up or a combo of that and less reverb and maybe getting closer to center?

Yeah will try to something with the lead vocals. I'm always self-conscious about my voice so I subconsciously hide it a bit, but I do wanna try to keep the vibes so will try to do it without taking the verb down TOO much

Back