New Song - Hanging On

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Edit - revised mix 2015/08/02
Hanging On - Version 3
Here's new song called Hanging On.

Trying a bit of parallel compression this time. Seems to work ok but you be the judge.
Let us know if you think anything is out of place etc etc.

Vocals, Bass - mjhamil
Vocals, Guitar - ido1957
Drums - Poeticintensity

Last edited:
In the first verse, the vocal has some weird phasey thing going on. Seems to be gone by the second verse. Bass guitar is almost non-existent. I think you need to bring in some higher freqs (900hz or so) just to add some definition. Other that, sounds good. One of your better songs overall.

Good catchy tune. Good performance.
me gusta!!

I thought the bass is allright...might need just a little lift.

I think that the cymbals are too predominant in the drums, also.

The bass is a problem: the bottom end seems to be there but quite low & the defining bits seem to pop up depending on what notes is being played but that isn't particularly consistent.
With such a busy bass line it should be clearer.
Other than that it seems fine.
Is Mike a pick or finger player?

Thanks Chili, CMolina, and Ray. I play Bass with either fingers or pick but usually I use a pick, thanks for asking. On this song I've done some EQ/ COMP/ LEVEL adjustments to Bass and Drums: any better???
Same link:
Hanging On

There's a bit of volume variation in the bass line, depending on the notes mostly, how about throwing a compressor on it? Cymbals are still pretty loud.

It would be nice to hear more of just about everything except the vocal. I don't often say that. Plus, if you turn it down a touch, it'll let you add some distortion to it lol.

Listened to Ver1 and 3. I was going to say that bass was hard to hear but sounds much better in ver 3. There are still some parts it doesn't sound like its playing at all though. Great sounding sound though. You guys did good.

V3 - Home stereo - Floor standing speakers with Sub

Kick a bit heavy for this type of song
Vocal could come down, but it isn't bad where it is at (could go either way)
I'm not hearing a nice driving bass. Seems like it would need that bass to anchor the song.

Sounds like everything is performed well and tracked well. Just some minor final mixing/production improvements.

It would be nice to hear more of just about everything except the vocal. I don't often say that. Plus, if you turn it down a touch, it'll let you add some distortion to it lol.
As the popular meme says: "Not sure if serious" about the distortion part with the added lol. :) If you are, can you expand on that? I've never used distortion on a vocal track - maybe it would add something. :)

Mike/Gerry,
V3 is much improved.
Thanks Ray - side note - I imported the individual drum tracks on V3 mix. Drum mixing is very new to us and I know you've been mixing Greg's for a while now, so any hints or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Listened to Ver1 and 3. I was going to say that bass was hard to hear but sounds much better in ver 3. There are still some parts it doesn't sound like its playing at all though. Great sounding sound though. You guys did good.
I parallel compressed the bass on V3 - a new process for us. I solo'd the track and there are a few lightly played notes that aren't as apparent in a couple spots.

:D:D:D:D

V3 - Home stereo - Floor standing speakers with Sub

Kick a bit heavy for this type of song
Vocal could come down, but it isn't bad where it is at (could go either way)
I'm not hearing a nice driving bass. Seems like it would need that bass to anchor the song.

Sounds like everything is performed well and tracked well. Just some minor final mixing/production improvements.

Thanks man - there's two kick tracks (Kick/Subkick). The subkick is massive in the low end and I did trim it back. Maybe a volume or eq in the low low end would help. Can you define driving bass - just curious if you mean louder/tone/etc?

Thanks man - there's two kick tracks (Kick/Subkick). The subkick is massive in the low end and I did trim it back. Maybe a volume or eq in the low low end would help. Can you define driving bass - just curious if you mean louder/tone/etc?

Take this for what it is worth. I nice bass drive like in a good blue grass or old time American root music. (I am avoiding the word country, but yea old school country), like what you would get from a good stand up bass player. Sounds like it is there, maybe a boost in the 200-500 range (maybe higher, not sure).

Just would really like to hear that bass be a part of the mix and not just a side instrument.

I apologize if I am not making sense.

Take this for what it is worth. I nice bass drive like in a good blue grass or old time American root music. (I am avoiding the word country, but yea old school country), like what you would get from a good stand up bass player. Sounds like it is there, maybe a boost in the 200-500 range (maybe higher, not sure).

Just would really like to hear that bass be a part of the mix and not just a side instrument.

I apologize if I am not making sense.

No apology ever needed, and we're always looking for ways to get our mixes to sound better. Any suggestions for reference tracks for that bass drive you mentioned - say on YT? I know the quality sucks a bit on YT but it still good enough to get a basic reference for balance/tone etc. I cut my teeth on some classic country, necessary for Saturday afternoon bar jams :D

Gerry,
for Faint Aroma I follwed Greg's guide in the drum sticky. I printed it all but the section on mixing was particularly relevant and good. Dealing with the bass drum is a biggy and the sticky guide covers that in detail.

Cool mix, Gerry! Because I mix my own drum sounds almost every day for a variety of clients, I can tell right now that the Overheads are too loud (I listened to v3), and the snare bottom is *way* too loud. It's sucking the life out of the batter side of the snare. The "snare" needs to come up just a bit, and the "snare_bottom" needs to go down dramatically. I'm even hearing the snare_bottom in the kick. I'd bring the snare_bottom down like 8dB.

As far as the subkick, one trick for the sub_kick track is - hi-cut (low-pass) *everything* up to about 200HZ. That will take a lot of un-necessary boxiness out of the kick. I also cut about 3-4dB out of the kick around 300-500HZ.

Volume-wise, I'd turn up the kick (and EQ it as mentioned above) as it seems to be getting lost here and there. The toms also seem to be coming primarily out of the overheads as it is now. They could probably use a boost.

Enjoyed playing for this one, guys! Good job!

Hey Jason - thanks again for the drum tracks and thank you for the mixing advice - this is all new to me :D so I'll incorporate those changes and hopefully do your tracks some justice!

Back