New Song - Electronic ballad of sorts?

Alphaflux

Nocturnal - Electronic

Hi guys, this is a short track I am working on at the moment and I am curious to know how it sounds from an outside perspective.
The mix sounds okay to me, but I have been working on it for two days now so I am pretty accustomed to how it sounds.

As always I appreciate the feedback and I am eager to hear your thoughts on how I can improve!

Churrrs

Last edited:
It sounds nice. Cool how the instrumentation & sonic texture evolves throughout the piece. As far as the mix, the lead "piano" seems a bit muddy - too much percussive low end.

Thanks, glad you like it and gave the time to listen to it all. Good call, it could be the harp mirroring the piano melody and octave down, but i'll also look into my eq and see if I can even it out a bit before i look into cutting it.
Cheers :D

Last edited:
Not my type of music. I appreciate your effort, but it was very electronic. You could try and put a bit more personality into this. Let your mind go and dig in to yourself and bring us something to the table.

We all play the same notes, same chords, that ain't what makes music. Give a little of yourself, that is what makes music.

Mix was muddy (100-300), but rather than just EQ'ing it, see if you can mix it to get some of the mud out.

Hope I helped.

Thanks for listening DM60! As you politely put it is not your type of music, which I do appreciate - however it isn't very fair to assume that I haven't put any of "myself" into my music. As I am sure you know writing music is a very personal form of expression and the hours/days poured into melodies, crafting sounds/choosing instruments which harmonise and arranging them in a way which you enjoy is no simple task. I can assure you it definitely contains a little of myself :P

For the last part I think you are right, I may try evening things out a bit. I applied some light distortion and a Redux recently to some of the tracks so I will look into them so they play nice with others, then group up the tracks (bass, mid, leads) and then drop frequencies so they don't tread where they shouldn't!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Am hearing some clipping in some of the instrument tracks (in the intro.... first 20 seconds). Were the levels recorded hot? Maybe you're using some type of distortion plugin? At any rate it seems a little too much to my ears.

The muted/detuned piano sound (melody) sounds good. The little, bright supporting synth during that section (before the drum sounds) might be a little loud. You could probably heavily compress that sound (10:1 ratio, fast attack/release), and lower it in the mix and it won't get lost... it would still be audible without dominating the track. It kept me from raising the volume.

Once that brighter drum sound came in, the track seemed to open up. Nice work.

Back