A new song called Data Entry

I like it. Made me smile. Depending on how serious you want to get, you could have a lot of fun with it. It's got that trippy feel. If it were mine, I would start by sorting out the rhythm, edit the guitar part to get rid of the timing problems and keep a steady beat. Then loop some parts of it, overdub synths sounds, drums, etc. Could be a blast. Judging by the tunes on your channel I'm thinking you're not going in that direction.

I like it. Made me smile. Depending on how serious you want to get, you could have a lot of fun with it. It's got that trippy feel. If it were mine, I would start by sorting out the rhythm, edit the guitar part to get rid of the timing problems and keep a steady beat. Then loop some parts of it, overdub synths sounds, drums, etc. Could be a blast. Judging by the tunes on your channel I'm thinking you're not going in that direction.

thanks robus that's nice of you. we were trying to have a blast like you said.

the entire thing was made up on the spot we didn't have any music or words so that's probably why we're off i think we were figuring out what the heck to play. i'll see if i can fix anything, but my friends went home and live 1200 miles away so i can't do anything about it now.

when you say judging by the tunes on my channel what did you mean? do they stink?

I didn't say that. Just that you don't seem to be into doing much editing of your music.

You don't need your friends there, you've got the recording. I'd go to work on what you have right there, and build on it.

I didn't say that. Just that you don't seem to be into doing much editing of your music.

You don't need your friends there, you've got the recording. I'd go to work on what you have right there, and build on it.

thanks robus you're right about editing.

i will see if i can improve anything like you suggested. maybe i can put bass in it or add a drum. i'll try it and see if it makes it tighter or even more jumbled. that's why i shared it for suggestions so i need to try them now. thanks robus.

So this is all a single-take live recording, right?
How many microphones did you use? You've got it in stereo, so at least two, but did everyone have their own vocal mics? If so, I would start by muting everyone when they shouldn't be making noise (the shuffling clothes, some of the laughs, etc.)
Did you mic the guitars separately? If so, they could stand to be brought up a bit.

Probably not much to be done about the dog tho. Maybe don't record with your dog nearby when people are setting off fireworks? :D

If it is only a 2 channel mix though, there's not much you can do to "mix" it. Basically, you just have panning, volume, and EQ. And with a sparse audio source and a decently-flat mic, EQ won't do much for you.

Back