New rough mix of a project I'm working on, costructive criticisms welcomed

Ryann_

Hey all,

I just posted a rough mix of a song off a demo I’m working on for a friend. I was hoping for some constructive criticisms, feedback, and advice. I’m new to recording and I know there is a wealth of knowledge here so any feedback is much appreciated.

The drums were only recorded with 4 mics, 57’s on the snare and 2 toms, and a beta 52a on the kick. At the time I couldn’t do overheads, that has since changed.

The bass was recorded using a beta 52a against the grill of an ampeg 8x10, a hartke 3500 head and a shitty ibanez bass.

Clean guitars were recorded with a line 6 hd147 head. Dirty guitars were recorded with a sovtek head both, through a vht cab, micd with a 57 and a rode nt1.

I’m not really into the distorted guitar tone, but my friend really wanted that type of tone for some reason.

All of this was done on a tascam 2488MKII
It is the first song on the player on this mypsace

www.myspace.com/apollosoundrecording

Thanks for reading and for any feedback!

-Ryan

Didn't care for the distorted guitar either. It sounded like two songs. I liked the beginning, but the snare bothered me for some reason. Maybe it's just too hot. If you lower the volume a little and send that track through the single effect of the 2488 at about 15% of the reverb in the chain it might help.

The next song started up and I thought the vocals were a little dry. You might try to give them a little delay and just when you can hear it, back off about 25 ms. HTH

I can't say anything sounds bad except the drums, more specifically the snare. Why you chose to go with tom mics instead of overheads is beyond me. It's really obvious. The drums have no room sound at all. The snare stands out too much. On "Glacier" the snare sounds like a short, wet fart. On "Banking on Breaking" it sounds better. But you're still missing that room ambience in the drums. Kik sounds good. Good songs, too. Just those drums that are killing me.

Thanks for listening.

I didin't use overheads because I only had 57's at the time. When I tried using them as oh's at the time they didn't sound good at all. Using them on the toms got me the most usable sounds. Since those recordings I bought 2 new overhead mics, just have not been able to try them out yet. Can't wait to.

I didin't use overheads because I only had 57's at the time. When I tried using them as oh's at the time they didn't sound good at all.

ah, ok, well at least you tried them as overheads.:)

I'm sure the snare, which is really my only nit, will sound better once you can bring up the overheads and turn down the snare mic a bit.

Like I said, though....Good songs. The guitar riffs and arrangements (especially your intros) are very cool.:cool:

Back