New ROUGH Metal/Hard Rock Mix

emergencyexit

Just finished the capturing process of my bands new full length, and I had enough time to put this song up here this morning with it barely mixed at all. We are mixing today and tomorrow for just a start to mixing, and since its our own music its much harder to mix than some other band. Critique all you want! The more the better, we are just trying to make it sound great.

By the way, we are also 15 years old so take our shitty studio and lack of years doing this into consideration.

Thanks

Ben

Sounds like a great tune. Drums are pretty loud, and drown out the other sounds. I'd like to hear this with everything mixed a bit quieter, so I could really make out everything going on. The cymbals really drown out the vocalist. Again, sounds like a great start.
Ed

Agreed. The cymbals are completely out of control, and it sounds very possible to me that you may have clipped the shit out of at least some of it on the way in, and possibly overcompressed the drums. Overall though, you've definately got a leg up on most people your age. The instruments and amps sound good on their own and the playing is pretty in there, those two things are over half the battle. Great start.

I completely agree about the cymbals issue. The cymbals were not coming clipped and they weren't compressed to much. I believe the overheads were just simply turned up to loud in the mix. I noticed this before I posted to I turned them down to hear how it sounded and it lost a lot of that full feeling. Here's it with them turned down significantly. I think this way brings up some more problems that we can now hear. Please tell me how it is now, and what to do.

Thanks

Ben

I listened to the second mix. The cymbals still have a nasty clipping top end sound in places. They are pretty loud compared to everything else as well. Bring those down and you should be closer to a balanced mix. The kick is missing in action on my monitors, you might need to carve out a spot for it to poke through the bass and guitars. I suspect if you fix the issues with the overheads it will lose some of the lo-fi ness. I really like the nasty tone of the guitars and bass. What did you use for the bass?

For bass we used a MXR M80 bass distortion into a roktron hush, to a pevey nitrobass head, into a carvin 2 10 RL cab, using the MXR for distortion not to di. One speaker was miced with a beta 52 and the other stereo miced with two sm-57s. The bass he used was a carvin LB70P.

Guitar was actually done with DI effects rather than micing his crappy line 6. The plug-in was just logic 7's guitar amp set on ultra metal a setting.

About 5 months ago, me and my band decided to start a new project along with our new album we are working on. The project was to build a studio in our practice space. We only had $2,500 that we raised from playing tons of shows and selling previous C-Ds. After building a dead room and wooden walls for the live room we bought our equipment. We are running 4 M-Audio Audio-buddy Pre-amps (these have two pres for each box) into a MOTU 828 MK II. We are running this through Firewire into a G4 powerbook and running Logic Express 7. Everything is being recorded to our 110 Gig external hard drive.

The mics we are using are:

(5) Shure SM-57s
(1) Shure Beta-52
(2) MXL 603S

We miced drums with two 57s on the snare (top and bottom), the MXLs for overheads, a 57 on each tom (3) and the beta-52 for bass drum.

Back