New Rock Tune - "You" (real drums remix) - feat. Joe Mizzi and Dave DeWhitt

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music
Hey guys! If I could indulge your patience and present you with a remix of "You" featuring not only Joe Mizzi on vocals, but now Dave DeWhitt's drumming debut on the HR! :D:D
I knew Dave was a talented songwriter, singer and guitarist, but who knew about the drums?
Thanks Dave for putting this out so fast. I hope my mixing skills (or lack thereof) do your playing justice.

http://soundcloud.com/bjsmusic/you-final-mix
final mix

Brad
:):D:cool:

Last edited:
Is that snare sample replaced? Every hit sounds exactly the same. If so, get some variety in there. The kick is getting buried and there are some timing flubs here and there, but overall a pretty good job for a quickie.

Sounds very good. I can hear that the guitar is slack tuned (to D?). Great "chug" to it. What's the chain on that? Great sound on the backing vox. Very "big hair" sounds there melded with a more modern sound. Pretty good sir. Maybe my ears are getting shot but I don't hear any glaring problms.

Is that snare sample replaced? Every hit sounds exactly the same. If so, get some variety in there. The kick is getting buried and there are some timing flubs here and there, but overall a pretty good job for a quickie.

Thanks for the re-listen Greg. You might be hearing the compressed aux bus underneath the live snare. Dave mentioned something about that he usually does this to his kicks and snares in the mix, so I wanted to try it. I had it about 1/2 db of original. Perhaps I did it wrong?

Sounds very good. I can hear that the guitar is slack tuned (to D?). Great "chug" to it. What's the chain on that? Great sound on the backing vox. Very "big hair" sounds there melded with a more modern sound. Pretty good sir. Maybe my ears are getting shot but I don't hear any glaring problms.

Thanks for listening. Yea, the strings are dropped a whole step (E=D), but then I used drop tuning on the E string (D=C). I can't deny, nor avoid, the big hair sound - It is who I am, I'm stuck there even though I don't have the hair or spandex anymore. The vox are all Joe Mizzi; he used to have big hair too.

The tone chain is very simple. Les Paul directly into pre using the Amplitube 3 plugin on four tracks. The 5150 setting two times and spread, then the Marshall setting two times and spread.
:D

I can't deny, nor avoid, the big hair sound - It is who I am, I'm stuck there even though I don't have the hair or spandex anymore. The vox are all Joe Mizzi; he used to have big hair too.
:D

Yup...now I save money on shampoos and hair-dressing fees! :D:p

HR.com already has a killer collab band called the Whotards...I'm thinking we need a good collab name for this group, even if it turns out to be a one time deal. I humbly suggest "The Silver Mullets"...lol. Given the hair theme that's floating around, it seems apropos :D

Best,

Dave

Um, The Whotards singer was out on loan. Don't get comfy with him. Our team of angry jewish lawyers will sue you to death!

Ha ha - and they'd probably win too, but unfortunately I have a feeling they'd be awfully disappointed with the financial rewards of such a lawsuit. The Whotards might actually end up further in debt than when they started said proceedings...lol.

Best,

Dave

Um, The Whotards singer was out on loan. Don't get comfy with him. Our team of angry jewish lawyers will sue you to death!

I think we are forgetting, I believe I was the first one in this little group to have a collab with Joe. So keep your lawyers in your pants! :D

:drunk: Besides, can't we all just get along, It's St. Patty's Day :drunk:

So, getting back to the mix - I think this mix is great. I'm pretty much a hack at the drums, but I do like it a lot better with the real drums, and the whole mix is more powerful now. Really great job on this, Brad! 99 out of 100 angry jewish lawyers agree, and none of them are in my pants :D

Happy St. Paddy's day :drunk:

Best,

Dave

Gotta say, the rhythmic feel of the live drums is much better, but the snare sounds somewhat fake, and the kick is barely audible. Other than that, it sounds pretty darned good! Love these collabs!

Sounds great with the real drums! Nice work Dave!;)
It's got a nice flowing feel about it now.
I quite like the sound of the snare, is it triggered?
The adlibs at the end seem to drown sometimes, but that's minimal.

Greg - I'm still patiently awaiting the next Whotards song.....so tell those lawyers to hold back a minute;):D

Dave - I like the name....:)

Jason - I've got something up my sleeve for us two, same style as Keepin' me Down....;)

Happy St. Paddy's.....save some of that great Irish whiskey for me!:drunk:

Great collab guys! I don't have any real nits with this it all sounds pretty good to me. Good job!

Sounds great with the real drums! Nice work Dave!;)
It's got a nice flowing feel about it now.
I quite like the sound of the snare, is it triggered?
The adlibs at the end seem to drown sometimes, but that's minimal.

Greg - I'm still patiently awaiting the next Whotards song.....so tell those lawyers to hold back a minute;):D

Dave - I like the name....:)

Jason - I've got something up my sleeve for us two, same style as Keepin' me Down....;)

Happy St. Paddy's.....save some of that great Irish whiskey for me!:drunk:

Joe- can't get Irish whiskey in Germany? I will have some good Irish scotch tonight!
Re snare, not triggered, see my response to Greg above.

Fantastic. A bit constrained or not rocking enough for the vocal in places, especially the bass needs to be strummed with more grandeur and lingering intent.

Fantastic. A bit constrained or not rocking enough for the vocal in places, especially the bass needs to be strummed with more grandeur and lingering intent.

Thanks for listening. I'm not sure what 'strummed with more grandeur and lingering intent' means :confused:, but I sure like the sound of it...I think :D:D!!

Back