New Original Recording

Jimtl

Here's a new original song "This Love Goes On". This time I recorded with a band "Melinda Holloway (singer) and Bad Habits"... I'm the guitar player, but also added keys. Feedback is appreciated!

FWIW... we recording at a friend's home and used personus fire studio into a Mac. I got the tracks and have been learning to use Logic Pro ... here's my mix so far...

Jim Lindley Songs | ReverbNation

Last edited:
The lead vocal sounds way back in the mix - I think it's the EQ, needs some air. The lead guitar around 2:00 might be just a little bit too loud at times (a little volumeautomation during loudest parts would do it). After that lead, the vocal seems more 'back', in tonal comparison.

I agree...listened to version "2" and to me the vocals are too far back. For this genre the vocals are almost always the forefront of the music. Other wise, I like the song and I like how everything sounds very clear and open spaced. Just bring the vocals up. Great job

Yeah I agree. The vocal sounds like it's in a completely different spot from the instruments. It's muffled while the rest of the tracks are clear.

I didn't care for the tone on the rhythm guitar on the left. Or was it an autoharp? Anyway, it was a little too focused in the vocal/presence range.

The lead guitar sounded good. Good playing too.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it! ... I'll get back to working on it this weekend.

I used one of the EQ presets for female vocalist... I'll play around with the settings/levels to see what I can do.

The rhythm guitarist used a Taylor plugged straight in.. Mostly because everyone except the singer sat in the same room when we recorded. I was thinking about redoing it at home with a mic, but may play with the EQ settings first.

Thanks again!

Jim

Last edited:
The rhythm guitarist used a Taylor plugged straight in.. Mostly because everyone except the singer sat in the same room when we recorded. I was thinking about redoing it at home with a mic, but may play with the EQ settings first.

Thanks again!

Jim

Taylors have a good sound when plugged in, but a better acoustic sound will always come from miking.

Back