New Original Mix up

You're going to have to be more patient than that.

I'm still not digging your distored electric guitar tones. They sound rather fizzy and grainy.
The other sounds are good but I think that they are really holding the mix back.

What would you recommend to clean them up? Simply, less distortion? Better EQ? I should take a screenshot of my EQ on the guitar tracks and the guitar bus. Maybe that would help.

eh, sorry...i'm a victim of the "instant" gratification generation. When it gets to 70 views without a comment, I also think that people are thinking it's the worst thing they've ever heard and are afraid to say anything. Silly thoughts, or not so silly maybe.

thanks for listening

90% of those views are bots. Don't sweat it.

Maybe less gain, maybe less top end.
Post a 30 second clip in the Guitar Tone thread. Some of those guys know their tones.

I like the song! I like your voice.
But I agree on the guitars. Mainly on the rhythm guitars.
I don't know how you recorded them. If your using a plugin or the real thing. But maybe trying to fiddle with the amp's EQ.. less mids.. a bit more bass..

cheers

I like the song! I like your voice.
But I agree on the guitars. Mainly on the rhythm guitars.
I don't know how you recorded them. If your using a plugin or the real thing. But maybe trying to fiddle with the amp's EQ.. less mids.. a bit more bass..

cheers

thanks for listening! They are plugged directly into the interface and then through Ampire, an amp simulator. There are 4 guitars during the chorus, and each has a different amp setting (Boutique, British, American, etc...) and different EQ settings. They all, however, have extensive cuts around 450-500, because a ton of mud builds up there. I mean, close to -10 db worth of cuts on each track, let alone another -6 on the guitar bus at a more general area in that range. I widen or shorten the Q accordingly. The master fader also has another -3 db cut at 500 or so, and the mastering session has an additional cut around -2db at 500. so....I really cut out those mids and still get a bit of mud in there. I don't make the cuts in exact same spot for each track either, I sweep each guitar track and find it usually lies within the 400-500 range for my guitar through that interface.

Additionally, the amp sim has knobs that I turn down as well (the mid). All those cuts and I still am not satisfied with the mid range. You should hear how it sounds without any EQ at all...horrendous.

Its a good song and arranged nicely. I wouldn't say the guitar is tone is horrible, your close. To me it doesn't stand out as something that sounds out of place. Getting the right tone is an art in itself and if everyone had the same tone every song would sound the same. Like Schwarz said, bring down the high end a little and experiment with the gain/distortion and see if it feels any better for you.

And remember, when recording distorted guitars (especially when layering) less will often sound better. Cut the gain until it doesn't sound all that distorted, layer four slightly different tones and see how much better it sounds.

And remember, when recording distorted guitars (especially when layering) less will often sound better. Cut the gain until it doesn't sound all that distorted, layer four slightly different tones and see how much better it sounds.

will do. I'll have a new tune up by next week for some critiquing, thanks guys.

Back