New original, indie rock - "The Ballad of Fireflies"

famous beagle

All comments on the mix, sounds, performance, song, etc. are welcome.

Thanks for listening.

Attachments

• 331 The Ballad of Fireflies.mp3
    3.8 MB · Views: 71
Cool song dude. All the percussion seems pretty quiet to me, though I'm sure it's supposed to be here- just a bit too quiet. On first listen, performances seemed great. Nice hook and harmonies.

Really cool song. I like it a lot...do agree with andrush...seems like it may need a little more volume on the drums to get it a little more energy, but that subjective to my taste. Good job

All the guitars are good. One on the right could come down just a hair. The LCR thing is giving it just a bit too much space.. Bass has a great tone. Vocal sits nicely and the backup on the R is very tasteful and nice. Just bring the kit bus up (like everyone else said...). Like the jumps from dist to trem guitar.
Never been a big fan of LCR...I like a little more field space like an orchestra and not a three piece, if you know what I mean.

Great song straight off, but yeah, lacks power. I don't mean limit and loud smash it to death, or even a little, but everything still could use some sort of punch to it. Song deserves it. Drums could definitely come up.

I was wondering about the drums, so it's good to hear such unanimous opinion on it. Obviously I missed the mark there, and I'll adjust it.

andrushkiwt: Thanks! That's my wife doing the harmonies. She's a much better singer than I am! :)

Bruthish: Thanks much; I appreciate the listen and advice!

Broken_H: Thanks a lot. The bass is my Hofner Ignition through .... ummm ... I think it was my Kustom KXB100 miked with a Shure SM7B. Yeah, the LCR thing. I'm a huge 60s fan and a Beatles nut, so I guess I'm used to extreme panning. They're actually not fully panned, but they're probably close.

Sammydix: Thanks for the listen. I'll mess around with seeing if I can give it a bit more oomph.

I like the song. I like the male/female vocal combo. the guitar sounds and the vocal sounds are all very nice.

The guitar on the right is stronger than the guitar on the left - in spots. In those sections, the mix leans to the right.

The mix is dominated by the vocal and guitars. The rhythm instruments - drums and bass - are way back.

And I agree on the overall sparseness of the mix.

Agree with lots of the previous comments - the two vocals blend nicely, and the right side guitar is often too loud. Maybe bringing the drums (and bass too) up in volume will give more punch to the song, it seems like everything's been scooped from the mud areas leaving nothing at all.

I liked the song and the mix generally. Are the drums real ? If they're not I thought it was hard to tell until the tom heavy part which to me sounds too much like programmed drums.

Triple M: Thanks for the kind words. Yes it seems to be consensus that I need to run this mix again and try to achieve a better balance and fuller, punchier sound.

mjbphotos: Thanks! You may have a point with the scooped out thing. I've been pretty paranoid about mud in my recordings the past year or so, and I very well may have taken it too far with this one.

chunkylover: Thanks for the listen. The drums were EZDrummer. I'll take a listen to that part to see if I can disguise them a bit more. :)

My first amp and cab were Kustom 2x15 and a 200. Got the Yamaha B100 for the distortion and then fell in love with the sound of 18+2x10 cabs. At one point was running bi-amp 2x 8-10's cabs and 2x 2-18 W horns with Crown amplification and a dBx crossover. Your Kustom amp brings back my start in the world of bass playing. Nothing like having 2000W of bass hitting you in the back...course we never turned it up that loud, but it looked nice!

My first amp and cab were Kustom 2x15 and a 200. Got the Yamaha B100 for the distortion and then fell in love with the sound of 18+2x10 cabs. At one point was running bi-amp 2x 8-10's cabs and 2x 2-18 W horns with Crown amplification and a dBx crossover. Your Kustom amp brings back my start in the world of bass playing. Nothing like having 2000W of bass hitting you in the back...course we never turned it up that loud, but it looked nice!

I'll tell you, I'm pretty blown away with how well this little amp records. It's only got one 15", so it doesn't do that super-detailed modern sound as well, but for more vintage-styled tracks (which is what I almost always do), I love its sound.

lol. My first amp was 1972, when I was 11. So yeah, it was pretty good at vintage, because that's where I WAS! :laughings: Got the Yamaha new in 73 and still own it!!! Running it through a single Peavey 1820 now.

Thanks for listening.

I like the song a LOT and the genre isn't even really my bag!. This song has legs, seriously. Keep going on it. The vocals are spot on and the harmonies are great. Like lots of other people I noticed the drums way down low. I would give a shot at pulling all the faders down - do a bus with just the kick and snare and the bass and get them working together, then bring the rest of the percussion in. Get that right then lay the vocals in and get that balanced out. Then add the other instruments giving each of them a spot in the panning. And I freaking love the guitar lines at the end. Totally my cup of tea. No matter what anyone here says don't turn that reverb down lol - keep them drenched. LOVE IT.

Chuck

Hey man - I LOVE THE SOUND on the guitars at the end. I have an Ampeg Jet with a single 12 and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

Chuck

Yeah, this one's really nice. The main points have been covered - right guitar and drums. But what you're doing right is getting attractive sound recorded. Nice.

I think I might have said this before, but I need to pay more attention to your songs.

Lots of advice already given, I don't need to rehash anything. But I will.... I'd like to hear the drums a little more prominently in the mix.

Yeah, the bass tone is sweet; and well played.

Liked the song very much ! My advice is it is overall to busy right from the beginning. The guitar parts are good but are pulling my ear away from your vocals right from the top . And I think your vocals sound great and can easily allow you to bring parts in a bit more slowly.Maybe even try starting you drums a bit later in the mix or keep them very simple at the start letting the song build adding excitement along the way. Too much candy doesn't allow a great song to build to a nice climax ...PS:Take what opinion you can use from me and throw out the rest....Great job all around on a great song !

Chuckduffy: Thanks for all the tips. I think I am going to take that approach when I remix it (drums and bass and then vocals). I used to have an Ampeg J-20 Jet, and I loved that thing. It was kind of a one-trick pony, but I loved the tone. Very similar to the ending guitars on this tune.

dobro: Thanks much for the listen and kind words!

Chili: Thanks a lot for the compliment! :)

gtrdash: Thanks for the listen and the ideas. Good food for thought! :)

Thanks for listening.

I think that is absolutely amazing and is going in my playlist on my phone, the harmonies are absolutely beautiful. If I could pin point some form of improvement is that it could maybe be a little more powerful, more compression? Although how it is now is great. Thanks for sharing that. :listeningmusic:

Back