New Old Song; "Game Over" - alternative rock/indie.

I hate to not have any criticism, as that makes for a fairly useless comment, but I can't think of any right now. Based on the first mix you posted, I would have said more clarity, but to my ears you fixed that in the new mix. I like your vocals better than the original. They move me more. This definitely brings me back to the early 90's. I don't know if it makes me feel young again, or old when I realize how much time has passed since then. Anyway, great work.

Bubba, this one is much, much better. :thumbs up:

That bridge section is much more rocking now as well.
Is it my imagination or did you do something with the drums? They sound beefier in the latest mix.

I know it isn't true to the original, but the bridge is screaming out 'guitar solo' to me. :D

Anyway, great job. The difference between this and the 91 demo is night and day, while still keeping the core of the tune.

I'm off on my holidays to Portugal in the morning, so I won't be doing any recording for at least a week! I'm taking the computer with me, though -so I can respond to comments. :)

Again? Getting your own personal family Brexit happening.... :D Watch out for the feral carpgirls at the airport.;) Enjoy.

Thanks Fedepatane and Fat Fleet. :D

I'm still working on a solo for the build-up part, but I've added a second crunch guitar and remixed with a view to clearing out the mud and leaving more space for the vocal. Also waiting for until early August for the proper singer. :D

I'm off on my holidays to Portugal in the morning, so I won't be doing any recording for at least a week! I'm taking the computer with me, though -so I can respond to comments. :)

New mix:

Bubba, back off holiday, back to my computer and I've had a chance to have a good listen to this - sounds great! To be fair, mate. I'd just call this complete as it is. Could maybe do with a few lead licks over it, but that's not how we rolled in the early 90s was it!

I've been playing along with it today though. Sounds like The God Machine when they're in a good mood.

It sounds great to me. I don't hear any muddiness in the guitar. drums are great. fantastic snare sound. I enjoyed the tune and didn't hear anything to nit about.
good job Bubba po

It sounds great to me. I don't hear any muddiness in the guitar. drums are great. fantastic snare sound. I enjoyed the tune and didn't hear anything to nit about.
good job Bubba po

That's always a good sign isn't it? When you're just listening to enjoy it rather than critique it... I'm sure Bubba is feverishly trying to connect to the WiFi in a Portugese cafe so he can read this while he sips an ice cold glass of Sagres and stuffs a massive pile of seafood. Lucky bastard.

I hate to not have any criticism, as that makes for a fairly useless comment, but I can't think of any right now. Based on the first mix you posted, I would have said more clarity, but to my ears you fixed that in the new mix. I like your vocals better than the original. They move me more. This definitely brings me back to the early 90's. I don't know if it makes me feel young again, or old when I realize how much time has passed since then. Anyway, great work.

Thanks vey much, Paulman. That '90s indie sound is very distinctive, isn't it? My own vocal is growing on me in this. I may sing it again with a view to getting a little grittier. I'm also going to have a listen to your Radiohead track. I have a soft spot for early Radiohead tunes ;) :D
I would've commented sooner but been unable to listen up till now as I forgot my headphones - I've bought some earbuds - they're a bit harsh in the top end but they'll give me at least something to go on!

Bubba po,
MUCH clearer mix.
The natural omph comes through far better.

That's great to hear, Ray. Cutting out mud without losing body is a tricky balancing act. Keeping the dynamic range was important, too.

Bubba, back off holiday, back to my computer and I've had a chance to have a good listen to this - sounds great! To be fair, mate. I'd just call this complete as it is. Could maybe do with a few lead licks over it, but that's not how we rolled in the early 90s was it!

I've been playing along with it today though. Sounds like The God Machine when they're in a good mood.
Thanks, JDude - I'm definitely brewing a solo in my head. Nothing widdly-widdly but ought to serve the tune well.

Bubba, this one is much, much better. :thumbs up:

That bridge section is much more rocking now as well.
Is it my imagination or did you do something with the drums? They sound beefier in the latest mix.

I know it isn't true to the original, but the bridge is screaming out 'guitar solo' to me. :D

Anyway, great job. The difference between this and the 91 demo is night and day, while still keeping the core of the tune.

Muito obrigado RFR! Yes, I worked on cutting the mud and beefing up the kit. And a solo is forming in my head. Something subtle like the guitar line in the chorus of Television's "Marquee Moon" would suit. I spoke to the singer a few days ago about the possibility of adding something that wasn't on the original, and both he and the original guitarist have given me their blessing. :)

Where you going in Portugal? Went to Sagres last year - its lovely.

I am at present, sitting in the coolness of the reception of a hotel in Albufeira, as the midday heat rages outside. A cool pint of Sagres (the beer, obv.) is beginning to call my name. :D I'm not big on seafood, but I'm looking forward to Portuguese-style slow-roast lamb shank tonight. I was warned to be careful with the piri-piri sauce last night but it was like gnat's water; don't they realise they're talking to an Englishman? :D

good job Bubba po
Thanks very much, Jimi, you always give nice comments and compliments. I'll give your tune a listen in return. :)

That's always a good sign isn't it? When you're just listening to enjoy it rather than critique it... I'm sure Bubba is feverishly trying to connect to the WiFi in a Portugese cafe so he can read this while he sips an ice cold glass of Sagres and stuffs a massive pile of seafood. Lucky bastard.

See above, lol. :D

Nice work on the remix Bubba. The updated mix sounds great - all round meatier and punchier and the vocals are sitting in a better place. Nice vocals on the chorus.

Nothing strikes me as sounding 'off' at all - look forward to hearing what you've got in mind with the bridge section.

Nice work on the remix Bubba. The updated mix sounds great - all round meatier and punchier and the vocals are sitting in a better place. Nice vocals on the chorus.

Nothing strikes me as sounding 'off' at all - look forward to hearing what you've got in mind with the bridge section.

Thanks, Rob. I've been sweating over this bridge section, but I think I've finally come up with something. Solo comes in at 4.55

Attachments

• Game Over with solo.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 3
Back