New Mix, Mind Critiquing It?

GendoPose

Hi all,

I've only just joined, and I would like to get some feedback on a new mix/master I've finished. I started mixing this about 2 days ago, I've only been able to listen to it on headphones and monitors, I've not had much chance to go around other places and listen to it there. This is only the second mix of it I've done anyways so I'm sure there's plenty that needs improving/sorting out!

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• This Is War MASTER MIX B.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 18
After getting past the first 30 seconds this is a good effort. IMO The synth parts don't work and don't suit the style you are going for and I would discard the intro. For my taste the riffing/rhythm guitars are a bit fuzzy and dead. I would try to get a bit more twang or occasional harmonic in there. I want to use terms like "open up the mix" but I'm not sure that 's very useful.

Good effort.

After getting past the first 30 seconds this is a good effort. IMO The synth parts don't work and don't suit the style you are going for and I would discard the intro. For my taste the riffing/rhythm guitars are a bit fuzzy and dead. I would try to get a bit more twang or occasional harmonic in there. I want to use terms like "open up the mix" but I'm not sure that 's very useful.

Good effort.

Thanks, it's good to hear both good and bad parts! How exactly would I make them less dead? Is it a case of slightly boosting some top end or add a little compression? I didn't compress either rhythm guitar tracks, as I figured distortion naturally compresses them anyway. Also the synth was originally going to be a Piano but I can't find any realistic sounding free VSTi's! I've got a very old copy of Reason which I might give a go in a bit, see how that sounds with it, otherwise yeah, I might well just do away with it. Thanks!

The synths sounded really out of place and cheesy. The guitar in the intro is a bit too fast. A few notes are hitting before the beat.

The guitar sound isn't heavy enough. They sound thin and have no low end power that heavy metal needs. Was it an amp sim?

The drums sound incredibly tight. I suspect some kind of drum machine?

The song itself is a good. Definitely sounds like something that I'd listen to.

Hi GendoPose,

As you say, distortion works a lot like compression, and too much of either can squeeze the life out of a sound.

If you are new to mixing try getting a collection of guitar sounds you like, and then try replicating them on your system.

I don't think the song needs a Piano and would be better if the 30sec intro was discarded.

I commend your thrifty views on production (free VSTi's (love em)) and would recommend Reaper as the best bang for your buck (if not best) DAW.

The synths sounded really out of place and cheesy. The guitar in the intro is a bit too fast. A few notes are hitting before the beat.

The guitar sound isn't heavy enough. They sound thin and have no low end power that heavy metal needs. Was it an amp sim?

The drums sound incredibly tight. I suspect some kind of drum machine?

Yeah I'm definitely going to sort that out, composition-wise I like the intro, so I'm keeping it in, but I will definitely play about with the sounds and see if I can get a much more natural sounding one. Good spot, I'll definitely go back and re-record that one!

Yeah it's actually Revalver 4, however it's the EQ that's the problem here, I've cut a little too much off and boosted a little too high up, so I've moved that down to cutting below 100Hz and boosting at 150Hz and it sounds better already.

Yeah the drums are a mix of Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums. I do find it hard to get them sounding realistic, any ideas how to get a more real sound out of them? Seeing as it's so tight, should I increase the level of the room mics to try and make it a bit "looser"?

Hi GendoPose,

As you say, distortion works a lot like compression, and too much of either can squeeze the life out of a sound.

If you are new to mixing try getting a collection of guitar sounds you like, and then try replicating them on your system.

I don't think the song needs a Piano and would be better if the 30sec intro was discarded.

I commend your thrifty views on production (free VSTi's (love em)) and would recommend Reaper as the best bang for your buck (if not best) DAW.

I've added a touch of compression after sorting the EQ out, and it does bring it to life just that bit more without squeezing it too much.

Well that's a composition point, but I respect your opinion, not everyone is going to like every part of it!

Hah yeah, although I did just pay a bit for Revalver, I'm extremely impressed with it so far! I already use Reaper, I used to use Pro Tools on a Mac, but could never get on with it, not flexible enough for me (albeit it was an older version).

Sorry to comment without listening (my studio is currently disassembled), but you mentioned a need for a free piano VSTi. Check out SampleTank 3 Free. They have a German grand piano sample library that's actually pretty damn good. And they're releasing weekly free sample packs for it. Totally worth a download and a test run.

You can using OH mics instead of direct mic on the hats. It can help. Kick and snare should stay tight. Making them loose will just make the song sound like shit.
Otherwise you can work with the velocity settings to change volume gently between hits.

The synth is definitely out of place for me too. The intro is a bit lower in volume so there's a bit of a difference when the synths happen.
When the main part kicked in I forgot all about the synth though - that rocks.

Agreed with those who said shitcan the synth. I was going to go so far as to suggest that nothing with keyboards/synth should have the word "war" in the title, unless it's like "war on wearing white shoes after labor day" or something like that :)

I can see where the others are coming from regarding "fuzzy and dead" tone on the rhythm guitars, but I think what you have is fine for a heavy song. All in all, nice work.

Back