New mix I'm working on... pop punk/rock type stuff.

keevhren

Just tracked this local band a few weeks back and am working on mixing the first song. Spent a bulk of yesterday on this it, did a few small changes this morning and would love to hear some feedback on the mix if you'd be so kind!

The main things I'm concerned with are the following:

1. Fixed. New mix below.

2. This is the first song where I've really messed around with drum replacement. I just got drumagog along with the steven slate drum pack and did the kick, snare, and both toms. The original tracks are in there still so it's a blend, but I feel like the snare is really noticeable that its a sample. Any suggestions to help them seem more natural or am I second guessing myself?

Any other mix help/advice would be much appreciated! I was overall pretty impressed with the output considering these kids are all still in high school, youngest being 16 I believe so they're much farther ahead, playing wise, than i was at that time in life! ha. Thanks in advance!

Here's the song: TC - Cool Story Bro - 3rd Mix by No Control Studios on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like it's leaning left. So much that it's hard to give accurate feedback. I can tell the kick is too clicky and doesn't have enough balls behind it.

Don't look at peak levels, but average levels. Your left channel is about 2 dB RMS louder than your right channel.

Are you compressing on the master bus?

I like the level of the kick but like the previous poster said, it could use a little more low end.

Finally fixed it, my AC1 master bus compressor became unlinked somehow, so was only effecting the Left channel... fixing it and adding a bit of low end to the kick currently. will post a new bounce of it shortly.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

Not bad. More balanced now. The drums overall need to be louder. Bring the whole kit up, or the other stuff down. They sound small and centered. They need more bigness. The kick is still a little too clicky. Guitars sound pretty good. The vocals have a boxy midrange sound to them. In fact the whole thing is a little light in the bottom. Sounds thin.

Updated mix:

TC - Cool Story Bro - 4th Mix by No Control Studios on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I bussed the kick/snare/toms to a 'crush' bus and brought that up under the kit. Brought guitars all down a few db... i think it really brought the drums out a lot better and added a bit more verb to the snare. Vocal's seemed to be standing out a bit too much, almost as if they were hovering over the mix as opposed to pleasantly on top of it so pulled them down and added a bit more verb to the lead vocal. Also removed a bit of the click from the kick drum and brought it up some.

Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback thus far!

This is pretty good, man!
Dig the drum sound, snare sounds just fine. Snares and kicks in SSD are pretty good.
Nice work, very good band.

Updated mix:

TC - Cool Story Bro - 4th Mix by No Control Studios on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I bussed the kick/snare/toms to a 'crush' bus and brought that up under the kit. Brought guitars all down a few db... i think it really brought the drums out a lot better and added a bit more verb to the snare. Vocal's seemed to be standing out a bit too much, almost as if they were hovering over the mix as opposed to pleasantly on top of it so pulled them down and added a bit more verb to the lead vocal. Also removed a bit of the click from the kick drum and brought it up some.

Thoughts? Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Fuck yeah, way better. Nicely done.

Thanks for the feedback about the first song! Did a few tiny adjustments to the mix and did 3 more additional songs from the demo they recorded... two more to mix tomorrow. You can hear all 4 current tracks here:

Take Charge by No Control Studios on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Opinions? Does anything stick out in any of the songs? I applied the same settings to each song as they're all stylistically very similar and tweaked as need-be on a song by song basis.

Thanks for the advice and feedback thus far! Will post the final two songs when I knock them out tomorrow!

Whoever wrote this and arranged it has their act together. This is really really good. The mix is great for me. No issues.

Dude I really like your stuff, I know that isn't much of a critique but I guess I'm just bias because I'm 18 and this stuff rocks. Haha.
Well on a technical level, the drums sound fine, don't be afraid to bring them up a bit so that the snare really HITS. Also make sure the vocals are little more fluid, some songs I can tell that two takes were used but that doesn't really sound bad.
Overall, awesome.

Back