New mix - acoustic song

Monkey Allen

Fork and spoon operator
Hi...I'm reopsting an older song of mine that miroslav from these forums was kind enough to remix. I sent him all the tracks and he added real drums and bass. I had midi drums and bass prior to that.

The song is What'd You Do That For?

You can listen to the original version and the remix at this link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=355705&content=music

First song is the original and the 2nd song is miroslav's mix.

Any comments or thoughts appreciated

thanks

:)

Strange to be the first one commenting as in my ears this is like hearing john lennon on the radio or something.. :D

When you sing "too late" it could be even more punchier, or more of something.. in my ears. Like a stringpad or something. Something to make it stand out from the rest of the song.

But, Im no pro.. just an opinion! :))

Luck to you!

Cute song, yeah it does remind one of Lennon, in a good way.
Your mix wasn't too bad, but Miroslav's has more punch and definition.
Nice listen!

Joey :)

Cool. Listened to your mix first...sounds fine. Nice and warm. Guitars sound smooth and bright. Midi drums are pretty laid back and don't do any harm here...

Listening to the miro-mix now. Certainly more expansive with a better sense of space. While I think I get the idea of having a mellow drum tone for this piece, they still seem a bit dark to me - I guess just the snare. Cymbals sound very nice to me though. The guitars have more sparkle on this mix which is a nice touch. I like this a lot.

Now if you can just get a fala mastering job on this version you'd be in business :rolleyes::).

Now if you can just get a fala mastering job on this version you'd be in business :rolleyes::).

You just made me spit ice tea all over my laptop. :laughings:

When I first heard Monkey Allen's song...I liked it right away and thought that it would be nice with some real drums and bass and mixed with a little more spread and definition. So I asked him if he would like me to rework it…and he agreed.

Originally, the idea was just to remix the existing tracks...but once I got all the individual files, I suggested that the drums and bass be re-tracked using real instruments instead of the MIDI tracks.
His recording options were limited by his lack of a formal studio environment beyond his control, so I understand why he was forced to use MIDI drums and bass.
Anyway...I had my regular drummer stop by one day, and we did two passes on drums in about 45 minutes...I ended up using just one of the passes without any comping.
I agree the snare is a bit on the dark side...it's a thick wooden snare. I asked the drummer to tighten it up a bit for a slightly higher pitch...but we only had an hour (which included time for him to hear the song and tweak the kit) to get the drums down as he had to leave.
I have a couple of other snares, and while my drummer and I both like the wooden snare, it’s not always the best choice.
On my recent album project we used that wooden snare on all 10 tracks...and on at least half of the tracks I agree the snare comes off a bit dark/subdued...though honestly, I don't like to go for the BIG POP with my drum tracks. Drums are very important...but I don't think they need to be in-your-face on everything...and much of today's Pop/Rock has the drums out in front real bold. If you listen to older Pop/Rock...drums were not as prominent all the time….but it’s up to each person to decide.

The Bass lines I tried to keep close to his original MIDI lines, with some small variations.
I then also added a nice Hammond organ spread across the L/R image, which I think really helps lift things a lot subliminally, and helps the acoustic guitars out.
The biggest change/work was my decision to do a clean ending to the song rather than the long fade as in the original version. It was a bit tricky and took some editing of the guitar lick and then I also added piano line on the ending in sync with the guitar lick.
Finally, I recorded a single acoustic guitar strum twice, on two tracks, to use at the ending, since there wasn't any in the original. The strum was need for the ending of the guitars.

I told him I was going to go for a wider/bigger sounding mix…and I think it came out that way. If you listen to it on a bigger stereo system, the bottom end thumps real nice, and you can really hear the spread/depth.

I would love to have tracked the entire song in my studio...as I think it's a cool little tune, and Monkey Allen has some nice melody/harmony ideas throughout the song. I think it's a very "radio friendly" song, so it would benefit from a proper recording….it has potential!
I told him if/when he decides to ever take a trip to the USA...we'll have to get together in my studio for some recording. :D

that was interesting to hear how much a producer with good ears can help a song that was good become better. It thought the first mix was okay, but the second really almost made it sound like a completely different recording of the same song.

good song ... but the little musical alchemy that went on was the interesting part to me.

Love the song - the new mix is great except... I've think the snare is a wee bit loud. I don't mind the tone but it pokes through in spots.... Definitely radio friendly !!! :cool:

that was interesting to hear how much a producer with good ears can help a song that was good become better. It thought the first mix was okay, but the second really almost made it sound like a completely different recording of the same song.

good song ... but the little musical alchemy that went on was the interesting part to me.

Thanks all...and greyharmonix...that's pretty much just what I thought too. A very interesting musical adventure really. Nice work indeed from miro!

New mix sounds pretty good. The drums are kind of flat and lifeless, but not too bad. The toms and snare sound kind of dull. More kick would be good. But not bad overall. The bass and vocals sit nicely. Acoustics sound great.

Back