New metal song for upcoming EP - request for some critique

stivens1991

Hi guys,

Together with my friend Phil (which is doing vocals for this right now) I'm working on our new song. Because I'm using some basic recording stuff (Lexicon audio interface and Schecter Demon 7 guitar) I'm sure that this is not mixing masterpiece right now. Because of that I kindly ask you for a favor - It would be great if you can have a listen and provide me with some kind of critique - are there any outstanding freqs? Something is too quiet? Something is too loud? Something is not sitting well in the mix?

Heres the song:

https://soundcloud.com/s_t_i/we-forlorn-hope-new1/s-HIAO4

Thanks in advance,

Przemek.

I like it! Mix sounds pretty darn good :thumbs up: I would consider maybe lowering the kick a smidge :)

What DAW are you using?

Amp sim(s)?

Drum samples?

\m/

Last edited:
I thought this was pretty good. Guitars sounded a little digital, but generally pretty good.

I thought mix was a little low-end heavy. The bass had a real boosted low end sound to me. And it's just a bit too loud.

I like that James Bond guitar sound in the riff.

Thought the lead G was a little too fizzy up top. There's something cardboard-y about the kick, to my ears. Not a nice solid thump. Great playing, just tweak the sounds a bit. Nice work

Hej, niestety link nie działa ale przeglądając Twoje kawałki na Soundcloud stwierdzam, że to super muza jest ;) Może przydałoby się trochę masteringu żeby wszystko było głośniejsze. Też zajmuję się produkcją muzyki podobnego typu i szukam kogoś kto użyczyłby wokalu do jednego z moich kawałków w ramach eksperymentu.
Pozdrawiam

Hi again!

I've listened to your advises and tried my luck one again with the mix, what do you think about it now?

We Forlorn Hope - 1 (final) (2) by S.T.I. | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I agree with the prior comment about the kick. Not sure why it's not sitting in the mix better. Maybe it needs to be scooped out more with EQ (remove (or add??) some of the 90-150hz range, I would need to experiment to see what helps it fit better). I'm thinking the scoop will allow the click and the punch of the lower end, but maybe will help it to sit better with the wall of guitars.

The guitars also lack presence, a bit too "big" (wall of guitars) sounding. But I think tinkering with the EQ might benefit them, maybe adding a small bump to a higher set of frequencies (say a small curve at 6khz on one side, 8khz on the other). Just a way of giving them a bit of definition and differentiation from left/right.

The overall mix is good, just needs some minor adjustments.

I agree with the prior comment about the kick. Not sure why it's not sitting in the mix better.

I'd focus on that, at this point. Maybe the snare too. Guitars are sounding much better. And don't write "final" in the mix names...you know it's not the final one.

Honestly, I thought the second mix sounded pretty damn good for the genre it is. BIG BIG sound. A couple places the kick thumped a little louder than others, so you may want to check those notes.....and some of the fills got noticeably louder.The only thing that really stuck out to me was the lead that plays behind the chorus(?), it gets really lost. Could come up a couple dB.

Back